Does anyone's chicken sound like a duck?

4chickns

Songster
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
New Jersey
My 5 month old silkie makes distressed duck noises sometimes, usually when he/she can hear me but can't see me. It is the silliest chicken noise I've heard. Does anyone else's chicken sound like a duck? Is this normal? (Not that this chicken is anywhere near normal
lol.png
) Thanks

I have 2 Creve Coeur hens that make a quacking sound. They actually sound like they are imitating Burgess Meredith when he played The Penguin on the old Batman show.

My Buff orp, and my bantam cochin do that. If they hear us walking around the outside of the pen (wood, 6 ft high, fence). They start "quacking" at us. They'll also do it whenever they are bored, because they want to come out of their pen and go to the "greener pastures" that they know are just outside their little area. Because we've let them out on occasion. They now feel it is their duty to inform us that what they have is not enough, so they stand at the gate door and fuss.
roll.png
Spoiled brats. It's only those two that do it, because they're the only ones that have been allowed out, lol. The rest of the flock are quite content with their pen, and don't know what all the fuss is about.

It's funny, I always thought I was the only one who felt that it was a duck like sound. I always tell my hubby, that I'm sure all the neighbors think we have ducks
big_smile.png

That's funny you should say that.

We have one hen that makes the weirdest noise when she is grooming her chest feathers. It's a gurgle/quack. It cracks us up all the time. And she's the only one that does it.

My 6 month old roo sounds like a honking goose if I am cleaning the coop out and kick the dust up (dirt floor)... The first time i heard it, I though something was wrong until i realized what he was doing.. Now i just laugh.. Also, yesterday I had kept one of the hens out with me after I let them free range a bit and let the neighbor meet her... When I put her back in the coop about 20 minutes later, of course the roo started chasing her all over the place and I could swear she was screaming "Help! Help!".. Glad to know I am not the one one who has heard this.. It broke my heart but I know he was just doing what roos do and not really hurting her..

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom