Does anyone's Easter Egger chick have this? Also, WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH MY BROODER BULB????

I'm having the same heat bulb issue. I have a 250w bulb though. All the local feed stores had the same bulb, so I went with it.

Thanks for posting, I'm happy to know I'm not the only one dealing with my lamp already max height!

What is the temp under the light when the end of the bulb is 18" from the floor?
What is the temp in the room?

My brooder is set up in the garage, where ambient temps are 45F to 55F (it's under a raised ranch) so there's no issue with an overheated brooder. I use an old 100 gal. stock tank, and check the brooder temp before chicks arrive so it's all set up safely.
A brooder plate works great, and also needs checking to make sure it's working properly.
At 75F, a much lower watt bulb makes more sense!
Mary

What is the temp under the light when the end of the bulb is 18" from the floor?
What is the temp in the room?
I never let the bulb heat up all the way at 18" because it was shooting up past 100F way too quickly. At about 35", the hottest temp directly under the bulb was 103F. Ambient temp is mid 70's right now. 74.5F-ish.

I've scrounged up an old incandescent 73W bulb, and that's working out a whole lot better right now. I can place it a lot lower, and so have room to move it up when the chicks are ready for lower temps. It's about 18" and 94F in the hot spot. The chicks are a lot happier, and not hiding on the opposite side of the brooder now.

Great suggestion! I didn't think I'd be able to find one on the property.

Back
Top Bottom