Does Bumblefoot HAVE to be treated?

KitKat187

Chirping
May 31, 2022
Okay, so my Buff Orpington has had Bumblefoot for at least a couple of months now. She doesn't show any signs of limping or anything. Gets around fine. I tried soaking a few times and got the scab off and all that in the beginning, but I simply do not have the time to keep doing this. She has it on both feet. Her one foot looks SLIGHTLY swollen between the toes. Hasn't gotten much worse, but not TONS better. I've been cleaning her feet every day or two and spraying with Chixx spray, which I think has helped. The spray causes the areas to turn a little pink. I think it's the moisture in the spray.

So, I'm wondering..... since the internet makes it seem like I'm going to have to cut her legs off if I don't do anything, is there anyone out there that has NOT treated bumblefoot and their immune systems have taken care of it on it's own? I know it can take MONTHS, but anyone???? The scabs are decent size.... maybe 1/2 centimeter wide. One foot is less severe than the other. She's a bigger girl and her foot pads have always been beefier than the other girls. Her shanks are much thicker too.... I think her size is contributing to her getting this.

Attached are some pictures of the tops of her feet. It's her right foot that has a bit of swelling in between toes. Hasn't gotten worse since it started. Potentially better.

Attachments

• IMG_8373.jpg
    IMG_8373.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8376.jpg
    IMG_8376.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8374.jpg
    IMG_8374.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Okay, so my Buff Orpington has had Bumblefoot for at least a couple of months now. She doesn't show any signs of limping or anything. Gets around fine. I tried soaking a few times and got the scab off and all that in the beginning, but I simply do not have the time to keep doing this. She has it on both feet. Her one foot looks SLIGHTLY swollen between the toes. Hasn't gotten much worse, but not TONS better. I've been cleaning her feet every day or two and spraying with Chixx spray, which I think has helped. The spray causes the areas to turn a little pink. I think it's the moisture in the spray.

So, I'm wondering..... since the internet makes it seem like I'm going to have to cut her legs off if I don't do anything, is there anyone out there that has NOT treated bumblefoot and their immune systems have taken care of it on it's own? I know it can take MONTHS, but anyone???? The scabs are decent size.... maybe 1/2 centimeter wide. One foot is less severe than the other. She's a bigger girl and her foot pads have always been beefier than the other girls. Her shanks are much thicker too.... I think her size is contributing to her getting this.
I am sorry about your bird, but yes, bumblefoot can spread up into their bones and legs if not treated. Some can be treated simpler than others, but yours sounds like a case where it needs to be treated more. I found three articles on bumblefoot for you to read when you get time: The second one is probably the fastest and has great pictures:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ment-for-bumblefoot-footpad-dermatitis.76278/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-in-chickens-my-successful-treatment.75244/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-injuries-diseases-and-cures-information-library.76663/

Back
Top Bottom