does cold weather slow laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hawtchick, Jan 16, 2009.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have been very lucky and my hens have been giving eggs 1 each everyday.
    The weather for the past couple days has been brutally cold -20 below or colder, and we have gotten 1 egg in 2 days.
    Is that normal??
    they seem to be happy, although I did notice the roosters comb did have some frostbite........
    They have extra treats, layer pellets, black oil sunflower seeds and cracked corn.....and fresh water with electrolytes, and a heat lamp for them to have extra warmth.

Thank you.

jess

2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I've been getting anywhere from16 to 22 eggs from 25 hens and it was -5 this am. It's the amount of light, not the temp that matters.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

IMO light and temps matter. They need about 14 hours of light a day to lay. I choose not to add light in the winter. It is a break the they need to get ready for the spring.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Stress of any sort interferes with egg production.

I choose not to add artificial heat in the winter. It is all up to warm chicken bodies with plenty of food & water in an insulated coop.

Steve

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I also refrain from extra heat/light in winter. It is natural for their bodies to take a rest, and natural for them to be able to endure our area's temps, which are never below zero. The reduction in egg production is not such a big deal, because we keep Buff Orps and Black Sex-link, who seem to lay no matter what. We have EE's that keep laying every few days, too.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You will also see new layers lay pretty regular in the winter.

7. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I will try to be patient........ maybe I will have some waiting when I get home.
    I gave them some warm oatmeal this morning so maybe I will be rewarded.
    I am hoping the cold isn't stressing them too much.
    Thank you.

8. dboiler

dboiler New Egg

Jan 16, 2009
    Interesting topic as I have been concerned about our Australorps production lately. We have 14 and are getting only 3-5 eggs a day. It's been very cold, -14 with wind chills -31, and I had a heater running in the coop but turned it off as I just can't sleep at night with it running. Barn fires worry me. Anyway, I guess I'll just let things be and wait till warmer weather - probably around August. [​IMG]

Dave

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh - you really shouldn't be giving electrolytes unless they are sick.

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Not sure if chickens are like parrots, but I raised parrots some years back. A drop in humidity can cause egg binding with parrots. With cold air comes also dry air. I had one hen still laying and she has stopped with the cold, I am not going to induce her to lay with light or heat. I eat to many eggs anyway and have a fridge full now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by