does cold weather slow laying??

I do give mine extra light and heat. I use red lights and a 250 watt heat lamps in their coops on really cold nights that forecast freezing or below freezing temps. I guess its personal preference.

it was cold here this morning-24 below and i got 9 eggs from 12 layers no extra heat or lights just mother nature. been averaging 5-9 eggs aday for this month .

Initially I thought the cold had an impact on egg production, back when it was a balmy 15 degrees at night. Then I was getting 15-16 eggs per day from 20 6 month old pullets. Now, with evening temps around -15/-20, I'm averaging 18 eggs per day from the now 7 month old pullets. Go figure. The egg size is increasing from large to x-large/some jumbo even!

I've given up guessing about logical reasons why they do or don't do anything.
hu.gif

-Christian

The modern breed have been bred to lay year round.

The light will keep them laying, not the heat.

Now if you keep them laying, they will need a rest once a year. Most large laying house replace them once a year.

Interesting. Mine are 7mos old Pullets have decreased laying since the cold weather in Vt. I realize light is a factor and have started to provide extra light but was wondering if the cold is a factor... They have been free range up until the recent deep freeze their garden tractor house available to them.. Recently built another coop inside the GH and have moved them inside.. If the day looks halfway decent will let them out which makes them ever so happy.... Anyhooo I found this forum helpful...

Interesting. Mine are 7mos old Pullets have decreased laying since the cold weather in Vt. I realize light is a factor and have started to provide extra light but was wondering if the cold is a factor... They have been free range up until the recent deep freeze their garden tractor house available to them.. Recently built another coop inside the GH and have moved them inside.. If the day looks halfway decent will let them out which makes them ever so happy.... Anyhooo I found this forum helpful...
Sudden extreme temp changes, any change really....lol, can cause stress and a decrease in laying...but it's the light at this time of year more than anything. Adding light take time to have an effect:

. Sometimes first year layers will lay all winter without supplemental lighting, sometimes they won't.
Older layers need 14-16 hours of light to lay regularly thru winter. Last winter I used a 40 watt incandescent light(this year I am using a CFL) that comes on early in the morning to provide 14-15 hours of light and they go to roost with the natural sundown. Last year I started the lighting increase a bit late(mid October), the light should be increased slowly, and the pullets didn't start laying until late December. Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting. Some folks think that using lighting shortens the years a hen will lay, I don't agree with that theory but I also plan to cull my older hens for soup at about 3 years old.

Aart, Thank you so much for this.. Saving the article..I was providing extra light after sunset may change to early morning. This is helpful and I appreciate..

Back
Top Bottom