Does corn have enough nutrients in it?

There aren't any grains that provide a perfect ration for livestock by themselves. Any grain that you look at will have certain nutrients and be lacking in others. That is why livestock rations are a mix of grains. A certain amount of this, a certain amount of that will provide a complete ration appropriate for the type, breed, age, production level of any given animal.

To say that corn is just filler because it is relatively low in protein and lacking in certain amino acids is way off base. Most grains are lacking those same amino acids, they just aren't common in plant based protein.

Bantiesrule, don't worry about it too much. Birds are capable of self choice to provide for their needs. If they need what is in the layer feed they will eat it. If they need the energy in corn they will eat it. Although the layer ration should have everything they need, providing a variety is probably better for them than forcing them to eat the layer ration.

To answer your original question again: Keep their feeders full of their crumbles/pellets. Give them corn and whatever else you normally give them, but throw it out so they can scratch and have a good time and not dig it out of the feeders.

Quote:
Corn really doesn't have much nutritional value (though it isn't a filler like Kristen H said). It's like candy for them if you feed them too much. It should be fed sparingly to them during cold weather because it raises their body temperature. Also It will make your chickens fat. A little is okay. But even I overdo it sometimes. Those little chooks just go crazy for their morning treat.

Sweetcorn (seeds only)
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 90 kcal 360 kJ
Carbohydrates 19 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Dietary fiber 2.7 g
Fat 1.2 g
Protein 3.2 g
Vitamin A equiv. 10 ìg 1%
Thiamin (Vit. B1) 0.2 mg 15%
Niacin (Vit. B3) 1.7 mg 11%
Folate (Vit. B9) 46 ìg 12%
Vitamin C 7 mg 12%
Iron 0.5 mg 4%
Magnesium 37 mg 10%
Potassium 270 mg 6%

Just some info from the USDA

Quote:
Yes, I do the same here. I put the layer feed in the feeder and throw everything else on the ground. I give a dozen birds a large scoop of scratch thrown out on the ground every afternoon.

Remember when you were growing up how your mother served corn bread with the brown beans, or rice? And the oatmeal for breakfast. She probably didn't know this but serving different grains and lentils together and at different times of the day would give you complete protein because they complement each other. That's how vegetarians get most of the protein they need.

Thanks everybody for all the answers. You guys are great!!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom