Does curiosity signal getting ready to lay?

NZChookdom

Chirping
Dec 29, 2020
South Island, NZ
From my 9 chooks, 6 are not yet laying. I have noticed the last week or so a big curiosity in visiting the coop during the day and checking out the nesting boxes. Nothing is happening, but they go in, sometimes with a buddy, check it out, and leave. Could this mean they are getting ready to lay?

From my 9 chooks, 6 are not yet laying. I have noticed the last week or so a big curiosity in visiting the coop during the day and checking out the nesting boxes. Nothing is happening, but they go in, sometimes with a buddy, check it out, and leave. Could this mean they are getting ready to lay?
Sounds like they’re looking for safe places to lay. Put a ceramic egg in there and that will indicate to your girls that another hen has already laid there and that it’s a secure and quiet spot. Do the squat test too. Come up behind them or suddenly move your hand over. If she squats then that indicates she is either laying or very close to it. This behavior is natural to a hen, as it is the position they take when they... well when a cute boy comes over to them. Their combs will turn a bright shade of red too. This indicates to you and a potential rooster that the hen is ready to lay and is healthy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom