1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Does egg size change with age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethESH, Sep 8, 2009.

1. BethESH

BethESH Songster

Hi all -

I'm hoping that you can help me with a question...

I have nine Norwegian Jaerhons that have started giving me eggs - wonderful breakfast over the weekend!!! The question is this...I read that the NJs are supposed to lay large white eggs. The ones that I'm getting are smaller than the medium store-boughts. Is that because they're just starting out? Will the eggs get larger as the girls become more proficient at laying? [​IMG]

Thanks!

BTW - so far, out of 17 eggs gathered, four have been double-yolkers! (At least one of my girls is an overachiever!!!!!!!!)[​IMG]

2. Peeplperson

Peeplperson Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Napa
    Wondering the same thing. Hens have been laying for about 2 weeks, and the eggs seem smaller than store bought.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes. In my experience the first few weeks/months of laying, the eggs are usually smaller and do get bigger the longer they lay (depending on breed). Double yolkers are more common in new layers as well, and as the hens get older you're less likely to get a double yolked egg.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Our Buffs started small. Three weeks later, we are mostly large with the occassional jumbo or medium.

5. BethESH

BethESH Songster

Thanks - I got FIVE eggs yesterday - the most in one day so far!
    [​IMG]

With nine hens, how many should I expect?

6. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Songster

My EE has been laying medium sized eggs for 2 weeks. Will they get bigger too? She just started laying.

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I would think 7-9 initially once they get going. We are getting 10-11 daily with 12 hens. I expect it to drop off to 8 based on the 2 eggs per 3 hens I had read in the info section.

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Although we have had a couple of days with a full dozen...I am just not expecting that, however.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The eggs do get bigger the longer they lay. 'Prime' age for egg-size is about 1-2 years, before this they are considered 'pullet' eggs, and can be smaller than normal. After this the eggs are bigger than they should be. All chickens lay smaller-than-normal eggs when they first start laying. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They do get larger as the bird ages. Also, I have noticed that when they stop laying during the molt, when they start back, many times, their eggs are smaller than previously and they have to get back up to speed again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by