Does egg size matter?

Amanda39

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
White Lake, Michigan
Hi everyone!

I have 6 goose eggs that will be hatching (hopefully) in about 1 week and 3 days. I have one goose egg considerably bigger than the rest. Does that mean that goose will take longer to hatch as it has more room to grow?

Thanks for any input!!!

I am not sure about goose eggs but that normally means a double yolk in chicken eggs. Having said that the +70 gram hatching eggs that I place under my hens have taken a day or two longer to hatch than the smaller eggs.

Hi everyone!  

I have 6 goose eggs that will be hatching (hopefully) in about 1 week and 3 days. I have one goose egg considerably bigger than the rest. Does that mean that goose will take longer to hatch as it has more room to grow?

Thanks for any input!!!

Are the eggs from different geese? If so it could be from an older goose they tend to lay larger eggs as they age. Also it could depend if its a different breed than the others. Another thing is if the eggs are from a first year they sometimes will lay different sized eggs, i have one that lays nice big eggs for a while and then will lay a long skinny one she is a first year. It could also be a double yolker as states above, if so and if it is fertile it is likely that one of the twins will die. There have been cases of twins being hatched successfully but the second has to be helped out and that is always a tough part when trying to figure out when to help to keep from losing it.

Eggs are from the same breed, but possibly different mothers. I have been candleing every day. I don't see 2 chicks. However, the older mother idea makes sense! I'll let you all know next week when they are due to hatch!

Hi. On the reply part, where you type, you´ll find a bar above with all manner of things for type and style and size of writing you want, etc. One of those 'keys' looks like a postcard of mountains and the sun. Place your curser over it. It says "insert image" click on it, then it just tells you what to do......hope that helps....

Back
Top Bottom