Does farm raised pork taste better then store bought pork???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Just wondering if farm raised, pasture raised pork tastes better then store bought pork??? I kinda want to get a pig for their meat but I don't know much about them.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Tastes 100% better, & feral pig is even better than that!

3. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Yes it does. And you know where it came from and what's in it.
    Going to process 3 of my own this weekend.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Absolutely! It's a totally different meat. Like comparing home raised chicken to Mr Perdue's stuff.

5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    My father always complained about how awful store bought meat tasted compared to what was raised on the farm. I thought he was just getting older and maybe his taste buds were changing. Then my son decided to raise some pigs; he had a success with breeding, delivering and caring for the pigs but when it was time to sell them the price dropped out of the market (typical farm for profit event). Although he was in his early 20's he had good business sense so he took them to a packing company for processing and sold the meat so his profit margin would be better. Being a good mother of course I bought some. That was when I realized nothing was wrong with my Daddy's taste buds. It was so delicious and nothing in a store would even compare.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Heck yes....I had the BEST ham, sausage and bacon from the last fair pig that some 4-H sold us....[​IMG]

7. YES, YES, YES!!!! Did I mention Yes??? Unbelievable, tastes like real food!!

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Yes, I buy my pork from the farmer. You know that commercial where the guy licks the grill to get the last of the A1 sauce; this pork is good enough that I've considered going after the last bits in much the same way. [​IMG] The meat is richer, the fat is more flavorful, the texture is denser and it flat out tastes better!

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Its like store bought pork and home raised arent even the same animal,thats how different they taste from each other. If I had the option I would never eat store bought meat of any kind again.

10. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Heck-yeah! My kid who pretty much refuses to eat any meat, actually ate a ham steak from a pig he met at the neighbors only two months ago. Couldn't believe he was willing to try it, and not only loved it but wanted me to immediately cook another one!

So, uh huh, yep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by