DOES FERMENTED FEED CUT YOUR FEED COST?

• YES

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • NO

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • A LITTLE

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
I started mine on fermented organic corn-free, soy-free feed from day 1. They go crazy for it every morning - much more so than the dry feed that is free fed all day. They're only 7 weeks old right now, and as babies with a new chicken mama, they wasted a lot of dry feed by throwing it around. But the fermented stuff, they lick the bowl. It's a good way to get them to eat the "fines" (the powdered vitamins in the feed), that stuff that might otherwise be left at the bottom of the feed bag.

I'm interested in how well fermented feed works? does it cut your feed cost?
It's debatable. I don't believe all the hype on it as far as it being superior to just regular ole commercial feed. If there was a huge significance commercial growers would do it.
That being said, I do IMHO believe it helps. Saves feed, I know it does for me anyway cause I don't always ferment and when I don't I'm running to the store more often for feed.
It also adds probiotics/prebiotics which are good for them.
I once was told that I could be giving them pre/probiotics just by feeding Purina feed, already has it in it.
Purina is like $18 a bag, I'd rather buy 17% mash from a local mill for $10, add some water and let it set/ferment, and walla! good to go ;)

Last edited:
good to know!
I started mine on fermented organic corn-free, soy-free feed from day 1. They go crazy for it every morning - much more so than the dry feed that is free fed all day. They're only 7 weeks old right now, and as babies with a new chicken mama, they wasted a lot of dry feed by throwing it around. But the fermented stuff, they lick the bowl. It's a good way to get them to eat the "fines" (the powdered vitamins in the feed), that stuff that might otherwise be left at the bottom of the feed bag.

Back
Top Bottom