Does Free ranging pigeons stop them from laying?

Imammusa

Songster
May 6, 2020
I have 2 pigeons a male and a female and every morning I let them out to fly around and put them back in their cage Amin the evening but the problem I’m having is that they are not laying eggs. And I really want them to.
Can anyone help answer this question please and here are the birds
BDF412E8-F993-409D-B20D-F5FDA11840AF.jpeg

There are a lot of reasons a bird doesnt lay. Weather cant play a role. Age - she could be too old to lay. Illness. Malnutrition. Yours look healthy btw. Letting your birds free range is good for them. It would not cause her to stop laying. Is there a chance she is laying somewhere other than her nest box while they are free ranging? If possible I would find out how old they are.

There are a lot of reasons a bird doesnt lay. Weather cant play a role. Age - she could be too old to lay. Illness. Malnutrition. Yours look healthy btw. Letting your birds free range is good for them. It would not cause her to stop laying. Is there a chance she is laying somewhere other than her nest box while they are free ranging? If possible I would find out how old they are.
The only thing I think is possible maybe is her age
She might be too old but I don’t think she is laying anywhere
She only fly around with her male
Go in and out of their cage and that’s it

OK, how long have you had them? It will take them a good few weeks / months to settle into a new home and start laying eggs.

Maybe they are 2 of the same sex?

OR,

Maybe the person you got them off made a mistake with their age / sex etc.

Are you feeding them enough? If they don't have enough food, and a source of calcium, they won't be able to lay eggs as they won't have the body reserves.

Finally, if they are molting their feathers this is a time that they often stop breeding until they have got all their new feathers.

OK, how long have you had them? It will take them a good few weeks / months to settle into a new home and start laying eggs.

Maybe they are 2 of the same sex?

OR,

Maybe the person you got them off made a mistake with their age / sex etc.

Are you feeding them enough? If they don't have enough food, and a source of calcium, they won't be able to lay eggs as they won't have the body reserves.

Finally, if they are molting their feathers this is a time that they often stop breeding until they have got all their new feathers.
They are an actual because they are the only pigeons I have but the male is now behaving and even sitting on the egg

Back
Top Bottom