~~Does Grass/Clover have protein??~~

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, May 31, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi
    I have a quick question my girls looove to eat clover or any type of grass![​IMG] Everytime I pick some and put it in their run they eat it up in no time at all![​IMG] Is it ok for them to have alot of grass/clover? [​IMG]

Also does grass/clover have any protein in it at all?? [​IMG]

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    grass is mostly a carbohydrate but clover does have protein as it is a legume. I too give mine clover and grass. They also love dandelion greens. I don't know how much of a percent of their diet forage should be. As mine are growing I don't want to give them too much.

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:How much is too much? LOL

4. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    It depends if your chickens are still growing. Personally, I wouldn't make it more than 20% of their diet as they need an optimal balance of nutrients that the commercial feed provides so they can acheive full potiential. I'm sorry if that wasn't too helpful.

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:No it was VERY helpful!! You answered my question! haha Thanks alot!!!! [​IMG]

6. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I recently asked a similar question of some long time breeders. I have let my 6 week old BRs out to free range and they seem to range from my clover field (planted to keep the deer outta my flowerbeds actually) to the woods. I was told that as long as commercial feed was readily available to them that they would consume what their bodies needed. That free ranging was actually BETTER than keeping them penned up.....

So, for what that's worth

Have a great day and stay cool!

7. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I think the chickens would know how much is enough. They have been around for thousands of years and it was before any one made chicken feed. What about people who pasture their chickens, don't they get lots of grasses?

8. fresheggsdaily

fresheggsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Suffolk VA
    I actually just wrote a blog on this very subject. Grass does indeed contain lots of protein and you can feed your flock unlimited amounts. It also provides about a quarter of their overall daily nutrition requirements.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by