Does green forehead indicate a male at 4 months?

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I have a 4 1/2month old peafowl that I have had dna tested...results came back it was a male. It never did have a lot of barring...some...but I always had thought
it was a female. Every day I wait to see if tha barring increases but it never does. It still looks like a hen to me. BUT, I did notice that the forehead has started getting little green feathers. SO...my question is: if it is getting green shimmering feathers on its forehead, does that indicate it is, indeed, a male? Or do females also get some shimmering green feathers on the forehead?

Not saying your cock is a hen, just that Spaulding hens have green on the top of their heads.
IMG_4877 (2).JPG

Here are some pictures I took this morning. Looking closer at the photos I do see a bit more barring than my old eyes could see in real life, so...

IMG_4457 (1).JPG
IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4464 (1).JPG

Why go to the trouble of getting a DNA test if you are not going to believe the results? We have two about that same age. I want one to be a hen so bad that some days I imagine it IS a hen. The barring says they are both ocks.

I wonder how soon a peafowl can determine the sex of its adolescent?

Back
Top Bottom