Does having a coop/chickens lower the value of your neighbor's home?

It comes down to personal values, of course. We love chickens and livestock, so we are happy to have other like-minded folks in the neighborhood. How I wish my neighbors had livestock and poultry instead of barky dogs!

Same with gardens. I live on a street where everyone else has clipped little lawns and clipped little shrubs, and you get to my yard and you can't see the house (right off the street) because it's camo'd by a thick screen of bamboo, blueberry bushes and other native shrubs and small trees, clematis vines and butterfly bush. Some folks love it, others bypass it and walk on the street (I have the "hell strip" planted with wildflowers and lush greenery as well) with looks of disgust on their faces. I actually had a lady steer her little daughter (on scooter) away from my sidewalk and into the street to keep her away from the evil jungle. I watched her give my garden the "stink eye" as she hastily walked past. Another lady drove by slowly, stopped to take it in, saw me and said, "That is a fabulous garden!" She "got" it and I was so happy. Another lady said that my garden would fit in perfectly in Seattle and Portland (OR) because it was in synch with that style. Who'da thunk, as I am New England born and raised, and was acting on my own intuitions.

The chickens, ducks and geese I keep are part of that sensibility, and I would love to see the rest of my block get some and let their yards go a little natural too.
smile.png

Last edited:

Quote:
Here in Seattle just about everything can naturalize and grow. If you are not actively cutting back, pruning, and mowing. You will be quickly over run with plants. Kinda like my yard.

Imp- sounds like your yard would fit right in.

Here in Seattle just about everything can naturalize and grow. If you are not actively cutting back, pruning, and mowing. You will be quickly over run with plants. Kinda like my yard.

Imp- sounds like your yard would fit right in.
Coastal Massachusetts is the East Coast counterpart of Seattle, just that our winters are a little colder (though last winter was like Seattle winters!). We have plenty of moisture in the air and stuff just grows and naturalizes just like you're describing it. I have to keep up with the bamboo every spring when it shoots, or I would be living in an opaque bamboo grove. Not that that's a bad thing.
big_smile.png

A number of houses on my street were for sale this past year or so, and none had trouble finding buyers, even a house right across the street from me, where you can see my barn (and often chickens roosting on the gate in front of the barn door). So, I guess my coop doesn't affect property values or desireability.

Back
Top Bottom