does having a rooster encourage or increase broodiness in hens?

saildog

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
I have a mixed flock and the buff orpingtons are my most broody breed by far. I will not get them again. I have 4 and at least one is broody all the time. But does having a rooster seem to encourage broodiness? or are hens just as broody whether you have a rooster or not?

Last edited:
Makes no difference. Some hens just want to raise a family. If they get the urge, they'll set whether or not the eggs are fertile. They'll even set if there are no eggs.
There was a study that showed pullets with a rooster will start laying earlier than those without. They don't even have to be in the same pen. They only have to be able to see the rooster.
I had 2 BOs. One went broody occasionally, the other never did. You never know, I even had a Leghorn (non broody breed) that went broody often and she raised 3 batches of chicks for me.

Last edited:
Yes mine will sit with no eggs at all. I threw a dozen under one girl as I could not break her and 7 hatched but she is NOT a very good mother. Very protective of her area but not really of the chicks. So I took the 4 remaining chicks after a week as 3 had died due to her neglect basically, and I am raising them myself for now.
She is back sitting in an empty nest.

Back
Top Bottom