Does Incubation have side effects?

mooSa

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Hi I have been wondering if incubating my chicken eggs will bring out unhealthy chicks, which might grow improperly. Basically are there are side effects when using incubators rather than broody hens to make baby chicks?

Last edited:
Excellent question! Incubating usually has no side effects as long as you keep an eye on temps and humidity. I use a digital temp/hydrogemeter from walmart--costs about $6.

M@M@2four summed it up well.

There are side effects however, to the person who owns the bator.
Good luck in your exploration and obsession.
wink.png

M@M@2four :

Excellent question! Incubating usually has no side effects as long as you keep an eye on temps and humidity. I use a digital temp/hydrogemeter from walmart--costs about $6.

While this is correct, you can't rule out the fact that some chicks will have 'normally' occuring defects or weakness, and that is just a fact of incubation and nature. Despite the constant watch of both humidity and temps, sometimes there will be one or two that 'fail to thrive.'

However, diligent care and attention to the artificial incubation should yield more healthy chicks than non.​

Quote:
While this is correct, you can't rule out the fact that some chicks will have 'normally' occuring defects or weakness, and that is just a fact of incubation and nature. Despite the constant watch of both humidity and temps, sometimes there will be one or two that 'fail to thrive.'

However, diligent care and attention to the artificial incubation should yield more healthy chicks than non.

Agreed! Another thing to add is shipped eggs. Trauma from the PO, x-rays, etc can all cause deformed hatches. I once had silkie chicks hatch ALL with severaly crooked beaks--some pipped and never made it and when I cracked them open(cause I'm curious like that
tongue.png
) they ALL had deformed beaks. These came from an excellent breeder and she had never had this happen before. My temps and humidity was all good...the only thing I could come up with was that they got x-rayed or the PO was to rough. Very upsetting. Anhow, I had to cull the chicks because they would have never made it.
sad.png

Quote:
Clearly speaking hatching causes changes in psyche of a person:

Irreversible addiction, which may have impact on personal and family life.

smile.png

Last edited:
So i guess you guys have had experience with this, and would about when the chicken grows, will it effect its laying?

Quote:
I dont understand the question..... or the line of questioning for that matter.

Chickens have been hatched by artificial incubation for hundreds of years. Why do you believe there would be side effects, either during incubation, or after the bird is grown?

Back
Top Bottom