Does Incubation have side effects?

I heard that from someone but I guess ill get started using incubators since it seems to be safe. Thanks

if the question is would chicks that normally would not have survived hatch with a bator instead of a broody. maybe since a broody will sometimes reject a chick or egg that she thinks is not right. But most problems you can see and cull the chick if need be. I do not think any reaching laying age will have problems that were unseen before but could be wrong...

as for side effects, yes total addiction to hatching happens quickly, raise in electric bill, and stinky basements are some I experience
lol.png

Incubation is fine, but your bound to make mistakes with an incubator that will probably cost you a chick or 2. If you have a broody hen, use the broody hen. Remember, natures way is always better than man-made stuff.
thumbsup.gif

Use your incubator and enjoy.

Your request regarding laying. I think that 99.9% of the hens that lay eggs for production commercially were hatched using an incubator. Incubating vs. Broody Hen does not impact laying ability.

However, if you help a weak chick out of its egg, etc. That chick may forever have weaknesses and cause it issues down the line. My rule of thumb, don't help. No matter how hard you want to, don't. I have helped 3 times, only 1 was successful. The other 2, I ended up having to put the chick down.

Back to the positive. Incubate, Enjoy, become addicted and stay with us here on BYC, we will help you along.

Last edited:
Overall I have the same answer as everyone else. However, I have always wondered whether chicks brooded by a hen might be healthier than chicks brooded in an incubator. The reason for this would be the same as for any other animal. Immunity is passed on through close contact with the mother. Probably not a huge difference in the life of the chicken, but it is a possibility.

Quote:
Clearly speaking hatching causes changes in psyche of a person:

Irreversible addiction, which may have impact on personal and family life.

smile.png

I've heard another side effect is the inability to quit going to, and staring at, listening to, the 'bator .. just sayin'.

(I'm taking notes for the future ...)

Quote:
Clearly speaking hatching causes changes in psyche of a person:

Irreversible addiction, which may have impact on personal and family life.

smile.png

I've heard another side effect is the inability to quit going to, and staring at, listening to, the 'bator .. just sayin'.

(I'm taking notes for the future ...)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
lau.gif
Yes, that is also a side effect! I have a hatch due today and 2 pips so far and I keep going to it, tapping, and whistling at it...I'm like their own personal cheerleader!
smile.png

i've had chicks hatched out from artificial incubation lay eggs just like any other chicken. also chicks from hatcheries & feed stores are ALL hatched out through artificial incubation, and they are usually bought for their egg laying abilities and yummy meat.

i also agree with what was said about shipped eggs. shipping eggs does A LOT of damage, which i guess can easily give the illusion that artificial incubation is bad
idunno.gif

in the past i've taken half the eggs from a broody and put them in an incubator. they all hatched on the same day, had the same hatch rate and they all grew up together. never lost a single one from either, they always seem equally healthy to me.

shipped eggs are i different story, i've had bad luck with shipped eggs both under a broody hen and in an incubator.

Edited to add: OMG i just read what you guys wrote about the side effects on the people who use incubator. i am an addict! i candle them just to see a wriggly little chick in there! i gotta stop staring at that thing. i can't stop hatching chicks!

Last edited:
I have an issue, maybe someone here could help...I receive 12 (expensive) eggs from a breeder via USPS. They sent 2 extra, so I had 14 in all. One was destroyed in transit, so I had 13. I place these into the incubator and 2 began to weep 2 days later, so I removed those. I then had 11 left. At the end of incubation, I had:

- 4 unfertilized
- 5 chicks, one of them needed to be culled since it had neurological and gross motor problems (with very small eyes) and wouldn't eat or drink and began to suffer, and 1 was very small but normal otherwise.
- 2 died late in development, one of which was facially deformed with a crossed beak (didn't even want to look at the other one). Is this bad genetics, poor handeling during transit, or is it from incubation even though I had no extremes what so ever? Do I ask for a refund? I need advice please.

Thanks
hit.gif

There are more chickens in the United States than there are people and 99.9999% of them were hatched in incubators. It's the broody raised chicks that are highly unusual now.

The danger of side affects with incubators are what they do to the person running the incubator! Like I needed more stress and anxiety in my life....

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom