Does interior coop color have any affect on egg production?

roseredcreative

Hatching
8 Years
May 16, 2011
getting ready to paint the coop, and we had some turquoise paint laying around from the house trim, but my wife thinks it may be too harsh for the chickens and cause them to lay less eggs. does anyone know if this will happen? or have any recommendations on a color that the chickens will like, making them happy and in return laying more eggs?

my coop is turquoise and white and I'm SURE, once my girls get around to laying eggs... they will be laying me some pretty golden ones. And lots of them
wink.png

Seriously, I have not read anything about color and egg production. They do like to have a private closed off space for laying their eggs though, I think that might be most important.

I just finished painting my coop turquoise because I had a 5 gallon bucket to use up. My girls are adults and the coop had been a tan color. They never blinked an eye. I don't think they even noticed. What they do notice is if you rearrange the inside but neither has ever affected egg production.

My coop has a large window and the interior is painted with high gloss white for easy cleaning (I do a annual bleach water scrub down every fall and let the coops sit open all winter) and my laying boxes are just plywood with canvas shreds hanging in front for privacy. They must be shy because they love it.

I am totally not aware of any reason (and don't believe there IS one) why turquoise would cause them to lay less, per se.

However, be aware that chickens require 14-ish hours of "percieved" daylength in order to lay (that is actually a gross overgeneralization -- some breeds/lines require even longer daylength, others don't really care, at least not for their first year -- but is a reasonable statement on average). The darker the coop is painted indoors, the dimmer it is in there and therefore the sooner it seems "dark" and the later it seems "sunrise" to their feathery little brains.

Thus, if you are not adding artificial light, a dim-colored coop can potentially shorten your laying season a bit (depending on lots of other circumstances too). And even if you ARE adding artificial light in the autumn, the darker the coop interior color, the higher wattage bulb you need to run in order to convince 'em it's daylight, which is marginally more expensive and in some cases definitely more risky.

So personally I think it's worth using a light color indoors when possible. OTOH it is absolutely not at all like you HAVE to.

I don't suppose you have any white paint, or even primer, that you could mix with the turquoise to make it more pastel?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Turquoise would be pretty on the outside of the coop, with white trim- check Lowes for some OOPS paint, and see if there is something you like better for the inside! I use pale yellow in mine, just because I had some, and it is so nice and sunny.

Paradise Chickens
"Poultry in Motion!"

my coop is turquoise and white and I'm SURE, once my girls get around to laying eggs... they will be laying me some pretty golden ones. And lots of them
wink.png

Seriously, I have not read anything about color and egg production. They do like to have a private closed off space for laying their eggs though, I think that might be most important.

My husband was at Home Depot today buying white paint for the coop interior, when the paint guy said, “You can’t paint the inside white. They won’t lay.” I think he was pulling Tom’s leg, but then I got to thinking. I don’t remember seeing a white interior in a coop. I think he spooked us both.

Back
Top Bottom