Does it harm shipped eggs to candle them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 30, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had quail eggs shipped to me from eBay and a BYC seller a month or so ago. I was wondering if the candling might have hurt them? I tried with all, but just thought maybe I shouldn't since they get so beaten up by the P.O. anyway. I plan on getting some different breeds of chicken eggs shipped in the spring that I can't find in my area, and would like to know your opinions on it.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I candle on day 7, sometimes day 12 and then when I put them in the hatcher on day 18 whether they're shipped or my own eggs.

3. island.girlie

island.girlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Katy,
    What is the difference between an incubator and a hatcher? Thanks!

4. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    A hatcher is used the last 3 days of incubation (day 18 - 21, when you are no longer "turning eggs") and an incubator is used for first 18 days (unless you don't have a hatcher than you can use your incubator for this too.)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I use a separate incubator as a hatcher so I can deal with a staggard hatch. That way I'm not messing with the incubator to turn some eggs while waiting on the hatch.

6. island.girlie

island.girlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah ha! Very good. Thanks for clearing that up for me ladies. Aloha~ [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Candling is nothing more than shining light through the egg. That will not in any way harm the viability of an embryo.

What will harm them is rough handling in shipping. If your box was beat up that was most likely the reason for poor egg development.

You should also be certain your hands are clean. Also don't cross contaminate from chicken to quail.

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If the eggs are handled gently when candles you will in no way harm them. Just don't jeep the bator open for long periods of time to do the candling as your temp and humidity will drop [​IMG]

9. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I always candle mine before putting them in the 'bator. When they arrive, I take out any that are obviously broken, unwrap the rest and carefully set them in an egg carton (pointy side down of course [​IMG] ) and set it up out of little hands reach for 8hrs. Then I candle them as I put them into the bator.

Unfortunately, I more or less have to use shipped eggs....but I've been blessed to find awesome chicken mamas on here to send me some! [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I know the actual light won't harm them, but I was wondering if the movement during candling would affect them, since they get a rough start anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by