Does it hurt the rooster to twist off spur?

Congratulations! Roosters are so fun - the good ones, anyways 😉

I’m not sure if you HAVE to trim spurs, or if twisting them off would hurt them ( you would have to ask them 😜).

One of my roosters has really long spurs, my other rooster seems to lose his on his own. I’ve debated whether or not to trim my roosters, but I’ve opted not to, yet. Good luck!

Yes, it hurts them.

My rooster lost a spur when he was fearlessly protecting his ladies from the feed bucket. I had to rush him inside with blood dripping down his leg. Chickens are good at hiding injuries/illnesses, but not this time. He SCREAMED when I was stopping the bleeding and cleaning it up. He had his head buried under my arm, breathing heavy and making little whining noises.

I could never do it to him on purpose after witnessing that. Just trim them or use a dremel. It’s much kinder.

He has since NOT learned his lesson, and still attacks the feed bucket.

Congratulations! Roosters are so fun - the good ones, anyways 😉

I’m not sure if you HAVE to trim spurs, or if twisting them off would hurt them ( you would have to ask them 😜).

One of my roosters has really long spurs, my other rooster seems to lose his on his own. I’ve debated whether or not to trim my roosters, but I’ve opted not to, yet. Good luck!
It's much easier to use a dremel to shave down their spurs... less chance of an infection, swelling or any resulting drama too! You could also use a nail file, though that would likely take a little more time. (Don't ask how I know😓)

Yes, it hurts them.

My rooster lost a spur when he was fearlessly protecting his ladies from the feed bucket. I had to rush him inside with blood dripping down his leg. Chickens are good at hiding injuries/illnesses, but not this time. He SCREAMED when I was stopping the bleeding and cleaning it up. He had his head buried under my arm, breathing heavy and making little whining noises.

I could never do it to him on purpose after witnessing that. Just trim them or use a dremel. It’s much kinder.

He has since NOT learned his lesson, and still attacks the feed bucket.
Thank you very much, I will not be twisting any spurs. And I’m glad that warrior saved his poor hens from the feed bucket he sounds like a tough guy, 😂thanks again!

Sooooo. I was just attacked by my rooster for the first time today, and was searching the postings for trimming tips when I came upon this one. “TWISTING THE SPURS OFF” ?!?!? :hmm I’m horrified that this is happening somewhere in the world. I think im more traumatized at learning that this was a thing more then being attacked by my rooster. lol I’m sure there has to be a reason for this for certain circumstances but this was Jesus way of telling me to leave John (my roosters) spurs alone 😂

Back
Top Bottom