Does it hurt to move them for Lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tia, Apr 25, 2011.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I was thinking about moving my duck eggs from one incubator to the other for lock down. Does that hurt anything. The other incubator has a flat clear top and it is easier to watch what is happening.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    as long as they have not pipped you can move them without worry.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I even moved a couple that had early pips to the hatcher and they made it fine.

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I moved some eggs last night from the home of my partner in Chicken Math. There were about a dozen (maybe a few more) eggs in a towel in a canvas sack I got from Orscheln's. None had pipped. By the time I got home (one mile away) one white egg had pipped and about 30 minutes later there was a yellow chick running around the incubator! This morning I got two more chicks, a pair of black Australorps. And there are more pips as I write. It's amazing what these little critters can do!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Shouldn't be a problem at all! I do it all the time, even ones with pips, even had an early hatch in my "cooking" bator with less than 30% humidity! He was absolutely fine. Good luck!

6. ginznchix

ginznchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    South Jersey
    I just found a banty egg pipped in my egg turner on day 18. Was getting ready to move them to the hatching bator and there it was! They're all moved now and we'll see how he does. My humidity was in the 30's and sometimes less so I'm a little worried but I do believe these guys are tougher than we give them credit for!

7. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I do it all the time as well... I have a hatcher and I move the eggs from my bator to the hatcher. No Problems!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by