Does it look like I have enough ventilation?

G2Shooter

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Quad Cities Area
51560_img_2499.jpg

Front

51560_img_2491.jpg

Rear, from inside

What area of the country do you live in & what's the weather like there? How many chickens will be living in the coop?
Your ventilation up top looks great!
big_smile.png
Not all the way at the top where heat might escape too much in winter, but high enough to help get excess heat out in summer, humidity out well year round, etc. And close enough under the roof overhang to shelter from rain!
For summer, it is a good idea to have a couple places down low that allow ventilation but are wired-off to protect from predators. The chickens really appreciate being able to stand in a breeze then, and having good air circulation. I can't tell for sure if your coop has that? If not, you could maybe make a removable wire cover that would allow you to safely leave open the hinged bottom door sometimes?

For wintertime, possibly you'll be ok, although it is none too excessive for 4 chickens in a 4x4 coop, esp. if you have to shut the vents atop one of the walls due to wind.

For summertime, I dunno... are those two windows I see on the two sides? If they are, and those plus the vents atop the front and back walls will be open basically all the time, it is probably sufficient for a mild-summer climate or a partly-to-mostly-shaded location. If you are somewhere that gets Hot Summers, you'd be better off with more.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

I live in northwest Illinois. It gets pretty cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. the two cutouts on either side are windows that will be wired off for opening in the summer. The coop is 4 x 4 and I will have 4 sex links in it. It also has an attached 4 x 12 run. The hinged bottom door is for clean out. The 2 windows are just about roost height. Look at my page for more pics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom