Does it need intervention? Guinea egg

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
My lone surviving egg peeped 25 hours ago. 12 hours ago it looked like the video. Now it looks the same as seen in the pics. I’ve heard him cheep once and he is breathing.

I read in one of the articles about intervention that if they have been stuck zipping for several hours it may need assistance. I don’t want to assist unless absolutely necessary.

BC120459-3414-4F63-BDB5-50D433420469.jpeg
A549AA23-D717-48B1-8A43-A0B93D2325B6.jpeg
E1B0E521-CE90-476F-84DC-EA879D5742EB.jpeg

I should note this is my first hatch. Went into lockdown at 930pm Monday, 70% humidity, pipped 930pm Tuesday, 73% humidity, and it’s now 10pm Wednesday, 76%.

FC3F21AB-BF78-48B0-8AA3-1A330FF66E33.jpeg
FC3F21AB-BF78-48B0-8AA3-1A330FF66E33.jpeg
Well I read every thread I could find and it seemed it was time so I held him in a bowl of very warm water and pinched off tiny pieces of shell with tweezers. He got very active and did most of the hatching himself. I think his membrane was just too dry. Tucked him back in the incubator with warm wet washcloths. Should leave those in there? At 87-90% humidity now. (He was still partially in the shell when I put him back but was out in seconds)

Here is what I see. This chick is exhausted and you can safely take him out because yolk should be absorbed. Do you see any blood on thin white membrane? If not remove him. If there is blood, the veins in white membrane, his “umbilical cords” I guess you could call them, have not finished closing off. If you see blood, help it and it dies, it is usually because they bled to death because larger veins had not closed on body. Being he has been in there 25 hrs they are closed. I also suspect that humidity too high and he got too wet. Chickens closer to 50-65, waterfowl between 65-70. More water creates internal drowning or ascites as we nurses call it. Fluid buildup in respiratory makes a weak chick. 25 hrs at 70% you may see respiratory issues. Usually starts with labored breathing. Breech usually need help because once they break white membrane they are breathing in their waste instead of the air at the other end.

@Helloworld , thanks! I think his membrane was just too dry. He did most of the hatching himself once I put him in the bowl of water. I’ve just moved him into the brooder with some chicks I ran to TSC to get so he would have friends. Hubby said he looked terribly lonely in the incubator this morning . No one in the area had keets, darn it.

Back
Top Bottom