Does like look like a resonable deal?

Dorte

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
I was going to build my own coop, but that means that I wont have chickens until next year. I came across this one for sale. Sorry, no inside pictures.

55653_coop.jpg

55653_coop2.jpg

The description says
custom chicken coop for sale. perfect for 4-6 hens. has outside accessible laying box can be fully closed for protection from predators. also comes with lower door opening with a removable metal pan for easy cleaning. front top door opens and is screened for ventilation and protection. has ramp and pedistal to set up off ground.

It is 4'x6' (exact same size as I was going to build myself) and seems to be made from good materials.

He is asking $275

To me it looks quite reasonable. What do you think?​

If it's actually 4ft W x 6ft L, I think that's a decent deal. Materials are expensive.
Nest boxes are probably part of that measurement, so it'll be a little snug for six birds. So make sure they have a nice big run. You can always add ventilation if needed; that's a simple modification. I'm not crazy about the door folding DOWN to access ventilation, because rain and such can come in. Maybe you could move the hinges and have the door flap UP (just add a clip/hook) to shield from rain... And of course you'll want about 5 ft of roost inside, but that's something you could add if it doesn't have that much.

It's not just the material, but also the time it takes to build one. For that it may not be that expensive considering both. Also check your local feel store for a house. I've seen nice ones at my local one and they were tall enough to walk inside with direct excess to the nesting boxes from outside. The price was about 400 each with shingled roof. You can also look for a small "lean on" storage shed that comes as a do it yourself assemble job. Costco has some nice ones, so do the hardware stores.
Katharina

Back
Top Bottom