Does Lowering The Incubators Temperature Kill The Male Embryos?

If You Set The Incubator's Temperature 1 Degree Lower Will It Kill All The Male Embryos?

• Total voters
Try to get exact fridge temperature, exact about of time in the fridge etc. Maybe even try half in the fridge for a few days or a week, and half in the fridge for multiple weeks and see if one works better. You'd have to mark the eggs with colors to show the separate half, then leg band the chicks from each half once they hatched so you know who was from what half.
Hmm....I'll see what Mum let's me do!

Biologists, & Zoologists are starting to reclassify Birds as reptiles. This is still controversial to some.

Also an interesting thing I learned while reading/watching a video on this subject is that not all reptiles are Ecotherms, or you could say not all are cold blooded.

Their ancestors were the dinosaurs, which were also warm blooded reptiles.

There's also several similarities birds share with reptiles, like Scales(Feathers are modified Scales), Egg laying, etc.
Okay, but that doesn't make them reptiles. Just because they were related to a reptile millions of years ago, doesn't make them a retile now.
This is just my opinion.

If you set the incubator's temperature 1 degree lower will it kill all the male embryos? I have heard that if you set the incubator's temperature 1 degree lower it kills all the male embryos, is that true? I'm heading into breeding and if that is true it will be so much easer, and more humane way to kill the boys.
Short answer is, No.
Works with reptiles but not birds.

What is hogwash? There is no harm in trying, is there?
No harm in trying except even without experimental incubation, anyone with a shaky grip on biology wouldn't bother.
Ten years ago the myth of the day was higher Temps results kill males, it flips back and forth every decade or so. This myth started from thinking that birds are some how related to reptiles so you can use incubation Temps to get better hatch rates in one gender, there are very specific groups of reptiles who's gender is decided by temperature.
but not all reptiles.
and none that can even be remotely said that 'birds came from these' ( certain Turtle species, crocodiliea, and certain skinks.) A birds gender is decided at egg fertilization, and birds don't live long so it's in their best interest to hatch as many of both genders as possible to keep the species going.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I've been doing this method for years.

This year, the eggs I've hatched weren't refrigerated, so I got more boys then I ever had since the Straight Run chicks from TSC several years ago.
What hatch rates are you getting?

I'm interested in how many eggs total, how many males, how many females, and how many did not hatch.

Back
Top Bottom