Does Lowering The Incubators Temperature Kill The Male Embryos?

If You Set The Incubator's Temperature 1 Degree Lower Will It Kill All The Male Embryos?

• Total voters
If you set the incubator's temperature 1 degree lower will it kill all the male embryos? I have heard that if you set the incubator's temperature 1 degree lower it kills all the male embryos, is that true? I'm heading into breeding and if that is true it will be so much easer, and more humane way to kill the boys.
I have not found that to be true. I hatch about 100 chickens every spring. I keep any replacement roosters I need and sell the rest on Craig’s LIst for $7 each. I sell them in 1 - 3 days. Be sure to post pictures.

if a duel purpose you could raise males for meat ---- just a thought
You can raise layer-type males for meat too. It may not be cost-effective, just like raising the dual-purpose ones is not always cost-effective, but they certainly can be eaten.

Okay, just to get things straight;

How long do I put the eggs in the fridge?
How cold does it need to be in the fridge?
How long do the eggs need to settle?

I've got a hen that I'm going to breed. I just have to get her to lay enough eggs...

I can’t help you with these questions, but I can tell you that you will need to let the eggs come up to room temperature before you put them in the warm incubator, or they will develop condensation on them, which will be bad for their viability. Good luck!

I've got a hen that I'm going to breed. I just have to get her to lay enough eggs...
I have kept hatching eggs that I am collecting for incubation in an extra refrigerator used for drinks at the warmest setting it could be set. Ideally temperature should be between 45 and 60° Fahrenheit. Approximately 7 to 15°C. I’ve also used a small cooler with ice packs. Keep a thermometer wherever you decide to store them to make sure the temperature stays in the correct range. Anything lower than 45°(7) may kill the embryos. Higher temperatures and you risk that the eggs start to develop before you put them in the incubator.
I have also successfully hatched eggs that have been in the regular refrigerator at colder temperatures for several weeks, though the chance of these eggs hatching is lower. Where ever you decide to store your hatching eggs, they should be set out at room temperature for approximately 6 to 12 hours before setting them in the incubator. Good luck.😊

I can’t help you with these questions, but I can tell you that you will need to let the eggs come up to room temperature before you put them in the warm incubator, or they will develop condensation on them, which will be bad for their viability. Good luck!
I have kept hatching eggs that I am collecting for incubation in an extra refrigerator used for drinks at the warmest setting it could be set. Ideally temperature should be between 45 and 60° Fahrenheit. Approximately 7 to 15°C. I’ve also used a small cooler with ice packs. Keep a thermometer wherever you decide to store them to make sure the temperature stays in the correct range. Anything lower than 45°(7) may kill the embryos. Higher temperatures and you risk that the eggs start to develop before you put them in the incubator.
I have also successfully hatched eggs that have been in the regular refrigerator at colder temperatures for several weeks, though the chance of these eggs hatching is lower. Where ever you decide to store your hatching eggs, they should be set out at room temperature for approximately 6 to 12 hours before setting them in the incubator. Good luck.😊
Thank you both!!

I left my eggs out in the office here in the barn, day time temps around 70F and night-time temps around 55F.

Have been told you can keep eggs like this on hold for around 10 days. I only kept mine a couple days as I only needed 4 eggs. All four of mine hatched, chicks are now 5 weeks old.

I wouldn't put them in the fridge but rather leave them at room temperature. How many eggs do you want to hatch? I wouldn't leave the eggs any longer than 10 days, personally I would not leave longer than 7 days - but have been reading here where people leave for up to 2 weeks.

If you only want eggs from the one hen then 7 days = 7 eggs - a good clutch.

Back
Top Bottom