Does Meyer Hatchery de-beak their chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chickenbarn-gal, Jun 16, 2011.

1. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I think it's horrible that they clip their beaks, what a painful procedure! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you know if Meyer's Hatchery Clip their beaks????

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    I dont know if they do but I'm pretty sure clipping beaks dosent hurt chickens. People do it to show chickens and sometimes a chickens beak gets so long they cant eat properly.

3. chickenbarn-gal

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Yes, if it gets too long then you must, but only to a certain extent. Most hatcheries that de-beak their chickens cut too close to their nerves which can be extremely painful to the bird....... And I don't want my chickens to be de-beaked. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Yes, if it gets too long then you must, but only to a certain extent. Most hatcheries that de-beak their chickens cut too close to their nerves which can be extremely painful to the bird....... And I don't want my chickens to be de-beaked. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Clipping and de-beaking are not the same thing. To answer your question, though, I don't think the hatcheries de-beak or clip the beaks of day old chicks, or at least I've never seen any that were like this. De-beaking is a procedure that is usually done to older chickens to keep them from feather picking the other chickens (which is usually only a problem if the chickens are in very cramped conditions), so it may be done to started pullets on occasion, but no chicks you order should be de-beaked.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

They won't debeak if you don't ask.

6. chickenbarn-gal

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make sure before i ordered them [​IMG]

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    If you are ordering day-olds, then no, they will not de-beak unless you ask them to.

I don't know if they de-beak started pullets or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by