Does my bigger run need a fenced-in bottom

Is it an air driven gun?
How long are the staples.

this is the link for the gun http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Fastener-T50-5-in-Staple-and-Nail-Gun-5700/100049752 because I don't know if it's air driven or what.
tongue.png
On the packaging for the staples is says T50, 5/16", 8 mm

@Ridgerunner you seem to be very knowledgeable of predators so I'm going to ask you one more question...I'm sorry
roll.png
Do predators break in to runs and coops during the day or just at night?

Some predators hunt mostly at night, some mostly during the day. Most hunt both day and night. If you read through enough of these threads you will find posts of attacks day and night. I’ve seen foxes, bobcats, mink, coyotes, snakes, skunks, rats, mice, raccoons, and even a possum out in the middle of the day. Many people will tell you that these only come out at night. Not even close. I thought possums were purely nocturnal until I saw on feeding at my compost pile at 1:00 on a bright sunny day. That surprised me, but he entered the trap that night. Hawks hunt during the day and owls at night, but both can be out at dawn and dusk. Dogs of course hunt day and night. Dogs are probably the biggest danger for most of us.

Nighttime is the time of highest danger. Many of the predators I’ve listed are more nocturnal, but there is a lot less human activity at night. We frighten many of them away with our activity during the day but they have a lot more undisturbed time to do their mischief at night. There are still plenty of posts where a fox or bobcat nabbed a chicken within a few feet of a human in the middle of the day.

I use a strategy of a predator resistant run during the day and lock them in a fairly predator proof coop at night. I have a 12’ x 32’ mostly covered run that will stop almost anything and a large area inside electric netting during the day. It works pretty well. I’ve still found several snakes in my coop, day and night. I once found a possum in my coop at dusk when I went down to lock them up. I found a skunk inside my run one night after dark. Never did figure out how he got in for sure but I enclosed that run with an apron after that.

It can be challenging and really expensive to make everything totally predator proof, especially if your facilities are of a decent size. I just do the best I reasonably can and it has worked pretty well, but I’m not perfect.

Back
Top Bottom