Does my bird need a cyber robofoot ? Adopted a pullet with a bum leg....

concrete_boots

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
NJ
Bird was part of a local flock and was being bullied by its 20 something other siblings..I figured it would have a better life getting some more attention and less abuse in my small backyard flock..I know I can’t I just let it go into my run without the proper steps but to make things trickier she’s also got a disability. Farmer claimed something along the lines of it was an Easter Egger born in September with a really bad leg, hock joint was reset leg was splinted but then after getting better got worse and never fully extended so she has just been using the one as a crutch basically or just hops on one. I can move it around a good amount and it doesn’t seem to bother her. She’s very calm and docile, eating, drinking, pooping..
I’d like to maybe have someone make me a 3D printed extenda leg brace prosthetic whatever’s u wanna call it...maybe ?
We have had her 3 days, she’s fully separated when unsupervised, she’s gets daily love and attention and mingles in with our flock of 5 but I think to be able to have her live with them full time she’s will need to be able to walk better to not be picked on ?
We are planning on using the small coop in the bigger run area for a few weeks to get them used to each other, if it’s impossible I’m not opposed to making her her own full time spot by herself if necessary to keep her safe.
For now I came to the medical threads to get opinions on her leg and will make another post in appropriate spot about the coop/mingling with others situation.

Here she is..her name is Forrest

Attachments

• A0D2E270-2BF2-4063-94F2-DB96866579F5.jpeg
    A0D2E270-2BF2-4063-94F2-DB96866579F5.jpeg
    827.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 83B3752A-3810-4390-BCAB-33D8C714DFA1.jpeg
    83B3752A-3810-4390-BCAB-33D8C714DFA1.jpeg
    886.3 KB · Views: 9
  • BA5B8021-8F5E-4EA7-95ED-26DEFD7154E6.jpeg
    BA5B8021-8F5E-4EA7-95ED-26DEFD7154E6.jpeg
    861.4 KB · Views: 9
Bird was part of a local flock and was being bullied by its 20 something other siblings..I figured it would have a better life getting some more attention and less abuse in my small backyard flock..I know I can’t I just let it go into my run without the proper steps but to make things trickier she’s also got a disability. Farmer claimed something along the lines of it was an Easter Egger born in September with a really bad leg, hock joint was reset leg was splinted but then after getting better got worse and never fully extended so she has just been using the one as a crutch basically or just hops on one. I can move it around a good amount and it doesn’t seem to bother her. She’s very calm and docile, eating, drinking, pooping..
I’d like to maybe have someone make me a 3D printed extenda leg brace prosthetic whatever’s u wanna call it...maybe ?
We have had her 3 days, she’s fully separated when unsupervised, she’s gets daily love and attention and mingles in with our flock of 5 but I think to be able to have her live with them full time she’s will need to be able to walk better to not be picked on ?
We are planning on using the small coop in the bigger run area for a few weeks to get them used to each other, if it’s impossible I’m not opposed to making her her own full time spot by herself if necessary to keep her safe.
For now I came to the medical threads to get opinions on her leg and will make another post in appropriate spot about the coop/mingling with others situation.

Here she is..her name is Forrest
I don't have any advice medical wise, but just wanted to share a similar story. I used to have an ameraucana hen named Toes who had the exact same type of deformity/injury. We got her as a chick from tractor supply for free because they didn't want to do anything to fix her leg. We tried several things (as well as vet visits) but it was just like this and stayed pointing inwards. She was a bit slower then the other hens but she got around just fine and no one bothered her. Even in the winter she motored around fine. Animals adapt really well to disabilities, so I definitely wouldn't give up on her any time soon. Toes lived to 8 and we lost her to a predator attack, but she was a wonderful bird.

She does have a pretty bad disability. She might live a fairly good life in a small flock near food and water. Here is a local newspaper article with a picture of a 3 D plastic leg, similar to the ones worn by some amputees:
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/new...cle_9d2ed022-fb6a-54e3-84ac-47547728a23a.html

Very cool! I'm going to try something like that weather it gives me a reason to buy a 3d printer or I commission someone to do it, seems like its worth a shot..

I don't have any advice medical wise, but just wanted to share a similar story. I used to have an ameraucana hen named Toes who had the exact same type of deformity/injury. We got her as a chick from tractor supply for free because they didn't want to do anything to fix her leg. We tried several things (as well as vet visits) but it was just like this and stayed pointing inwards. She was a bit slower then the other hens but she got around just fine and no one bothered her. Even in the winter she motored around fine. Animals adapt really well to disabilities, so I definitely wouldn't give up on her any time soon. Toes lived to 8 and we lost her to a predator attack, but she was a wonderful bird.

Thanks! Deff not giving up on her..worst case we have a couple small chicken tacos....kidding...worse case we build her a separate coop/run and love her forever..

One legged chickens can do reasonably well in a small flock if you have docile girls.
Your biggest issue will be predators, her gait is a red flag.
Personally iv'e not delt with a hen but did have a peg leg rooster that did just fine, he even sired chicks.:)

Our girls are docile for sure...raised in the house for the first 2 months of their lives, all but one likes to be picked up and held, they get human interaction almost daily..hoping they just accept her at some point...

Back
Top Bottom