Does my cat count as a "pest"?

twolittlechooks

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Hi all,
I have a problem that I did not foresee. One of my cats has decided that my chicken coop is her new napping spot. The nest boxes in particular... Needless to say, the chickens have moved out. I have no idea where or if they are laying but they are safe at night as they have found a place to roost in my garage :/
Any suggestions on how to make the coop uninviting for the cat yet still appealing for the chickens?
Thanks!

PS I posted this under the Chicken Coop section as well. I hope it's okay to put it in both places!

I'm surprised the chickens didn't stay in the coop. Pet cats rarely bother adult chickens, though they will harm or kill chicks. Occasionally a feral cat will kill a hen, though. I've had at least one cat for several years, and they have not harmed the chickens. I did have one who liked to hide til the chickens walked by, then jump out at them, making them squawk and run off. But I noticed she never got closer than a few feet to the chickens. I figure she got herself pecked at some point.

I doubt a cat would bother grown chickens. You might put some golf balls in the nests. Uncomfortable for the cat, unimportant to the hens.

Chris

I doubt a cat would bother grown chickens.  You  might put some golf balls in the nests.  Uncomfortable for the cat, unimportant to the hens.

Chris

Oh the cat couldn't care less about the chickens and the chickens don't seem to care about her when they are out together - it just seems to be at night. Maybe the two things aren't even related... I'm going to do the golf ball thing though. Right now I just go get the chickens from where they are roosting, shoo the cat out and put them in. Once I get it sorted out, I will lock them in the coop for a few days to remind them where they sleep.

Back
Top Bottom