Does my cat look pregnant?

How long do kittens have to stay with mom? I know it’s 8 weeks for dogs, but are cats different?
Many states have laws requiring that kittens and puppies be at least 8 weeks old before you can sell them or give them away.

I notice you're in Texas, but I don't know if it is one of the states with a law like that or not.

She was here when we moved, and we were going to get her spayed after we moved here full time, and I thought she might be pregnant, so we are waiting to see if kittens arrive.

You could take her to a vet to see.

If she is not pregnant, then you could get her spayed before she has a chance to get pregnant.

And if she is pregnant, the vet might be able to give you a better idea of how soon she'll deliver, and can advise on how soon to spay her after she gives birth.

Many states have laws requiring that kittens and puppies be at least 8 weeks old before you can sell them or give them away.

I notice you're in Texas, but I don't know if it is one of the states with a law like that or not.

You could take her to a vet to see.

If she is not pregnant, then you could get her spayed before she has a chance to get pregnant.

And if she is pregnant, the vet might be able to give you a better idea of how soon she'll deliver, and can advise on how soon to spay her after she gives birth.
I might take her

How long do you think before she is due?
Cats are pregnant for between 8 and 9 weeks and it becomes noticeable at about 3 weeks. You said that you first noticed the change about 2-3 weeks ago so that means she is at least 5 weeks into her pregnancy, probably a little farther along. I would expect her to give birth no later than 3 weeks from now but could be sooner.

She was here when we moved, and we were going to get her spayed after we moved here full time, and I thought she might be pregnant, so we are waiting to see if kittens arrive.
That makes sense. Glad you can give her a safe place to have her kittens. It will be a pretty cool experience.

I caught and took in two semi-feral cats and their two litters of kittens a while back and have learned a lot. Cats are pretty much in heat all summer. The moms can go back into heat again before the kittens are weaned. So if you can't keep mom contained, she'll get pregnant again.

My mom cats went into heat and started trying to get out of their kennel when their litters where around 6 and 8 weeks. Since one of the moms is more feral, I didn't want to chance her getting out and not coming back so I took both moms to get spayed at that time. They can be spayed when the kittens are 6 weeks and then returned to their kittens to continue nursing them.

Some traditional vets won't spay a cat if she's pregnant or in heat. Luckily for me my local humane society has a TNR (trap neuter release) program for ferals. So I was able to get them both spayed for $60. It's worth looking to see if there's a program in your area. If they stick around after release, I'll continue to feed them and they can live in my barn. I am keeping one kitten because I fell in love.

I know ideally the kittens should be left with mom until 12 weeks old but that just wasn't feasible in my situation. I let the kittens start going to their new homes at 8 weeks. But I did make sure that they were eating both dry and wet food on their own. The littlest runt that I was a bit worried about is being held back a bit longer so she has more time with mom.

Back
Top Bottom