Does my chick have a spinal deformity or something else?

Quirkyfusion

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
I purchased lavender Ameraucana (NOT Easter Eggers) chicks yesterday (approx 1 week old) and was offered this cull to see if I could do anything for it. I could tell there was a leg issue and at first thought splayed leg. I’m wondering now if s/he has a spinal deformity. The shoulders/wings are pushed up in the back, neck looks to have a curve in it, and the leg/hip seems to have an abnormal attachment point. I’m new at this and don’t want to make the decision to cull if there is something I can do for him/her.

Attachments

• 71211C01-9F23-4BF6-AD31-277EC71B957E.jpeg
    71211C01-9F23-4BF6-AD31-277EC71B957E.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 6975406E-FAE9-4205-BB01-0FB5E433A1B3.jpeg
    6975406E-FAE9-4205-BB01-0FB5E433A1B3.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 3C7B62DA-8ECF-4C75-8D8D-D5D00E0885FE.jpeg
    3C7B62DA-8ECF-4C75-8D8D-D5D00E0885FE.jpeg
    879 KB · Views: 18
  • 1923C374-5469-4372-B3B7-BFF2FB31BCE7.jpeg
    1923C374-5469-4372-B3B7-BFF2FB31BCE7.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 4C6CBDCD-D907-4D40-BF29-37BEF8D81AA6.jpeg
    4C6CBDCD-D907-4D40-BF29-37BEF8D81AA6.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 17
Can the chick stand up on it's own? If so, can you get some photos of it standing up on it's own from the front and back?

Was this a breeder that you got this chick from?

Can the chick stand up on it's own? If so, can you get some photos of it standing up on it's own from the front and back?

Was this a breeder that you got this chick from?
It manages to get around on its own, although not very well because it steps on its opposite foot. I did get it from a breeder, but she only let me have it because it was a full and I said I’d take it to see if I could help it...if so, I won’t be breeding it either....it’ll stay a pet and live with my crossbeak. I’ll get some pictures of it standing

The right femur looks dislocated, to say the least. Poor thing, I would cull.
S/he is such a sweetheart though. Loves to snuggle it’s siblings, loves to be picked up. It’s getting around (although not very well) and tries to follow the others around, pecks at the colored bells in the brooder, talks to itself in the mirror. Ugh...Sometimes I really wish I wasn’t such a softy.

S/he is such a sweetheart though. Loves to snuggle it’s siblings, loves to be picked up. It’s getting around (although not very well) and tries to follow the others around, pecks at the colored bells in the brooder, talks to itself in the mirror. Ugh...Sometimes I really wish I wasn’t such a softy.
Yes, they sneak into our hearts quite easily, I know.

And maybe someone with a similar chick has had a good outcome and chimes in.

Here comes my but:

Image the effect growing in size and weight will have, as the pressure/strain on the joint/hip will increase and the pushing itself and hobbling about will lead to inflammation of the tissues due to the constant friction.

Yes, they sneak into our hearts quite easily, I know.

And maybe someone with a similar chick has had a good outcome and chimes in.

Here comes my but:

Image the effect growing in size and weight will have, as the pressure/strain on the joint/hip will increase and the pushing itself and hobbling about will lead to inflammation of the tissues due to the constant friction.
You’re right. There is gonna come a point where I can’t be near her all day to make sure she’s eating, drinking, not getting stuck somewhere, or is too slow to evade predators. My heart hurts for her 😔

I’m not really experienced with this sort of thing. Culling now seems to be a valid and reasonable decision, but so does giving it a shot and trying to help. I think things to consider are mobility now and in the future. Can it walk at all? Walk one legged? Walk with a limp? Do you feel that a gimpy, but otherwise able to move and do basic chicken things acceptable quality of life? Do you have restrictions/considerations if it turns out to be a rooster? If you try something like splinting to slowly push the leg to something more functional - maybe that helps enough, but if not, would you be prepared to cull later after trying something and it doesn’t work? Do you have the time and resources to ‘doctor’ on the chick? Also with the appearance of viewable deformities, there may be other abnormalities that you can’t see.

Also, it looks awfully fluff-less …?

It manages to get around on its own, although not very well because it steps on its opposite foot. I did get it from a breeder, but she only let me have it because it was a full and I said I’d take it to see if I could help it...if so, I won’t be breeding it either....it’ll stay a pet and live with my crossbeak. I’ll get some pictures of it standing
I'm sorry to hear that.

I do agree, I would cull, but of course that's up to you.
Often birds with a deformity have something else going on as well.
You have a sweet soft heart and I do understand, you can get attached quickly.

I'm not knocking you for taking her in and giving her love. I do have an issue with a "breeder" that would give away a cull like this. Personally, I would never get anything from this "breeder" again.

My 2¢

Back
Top Bottom