Does my chick need a buddy?

iowachks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
I had 11 eggs in my incubator and only one gold-laced wyandotte hatched. S/he seems lonely and kinda chirpy, but I don't know where I can find another baby chick this time of year! I'm in eastern Iowa. Anyone have any ideas? Or will Fluffy be okay alone?
Thanks!

Check craigslist in your area, or Strombergs hatchery is in MN, they should have something available to ship to you. Not sure if there is an order minimum though.

the same thing happened to me I put a dozen eggs in the incubator and only one hatched. I held mine a lot and he is the best chicken I have ever had and the friendliest. My avatar is actually a picture of him

Yes, your little chick needs some buddies. They are flock animals and really need the socialization of other chickens.

Until you can find your little one some buddies - the others have given you some good ideas on that - try a stuffed animal, a mirror of the sort you would buy for a parakeet (minus the chain) or, this works great, a clean feather duster.

Thank you! I posted over on the Iowa page and am checking all other avenues. Schlecht Hatchery is only 20 miles from me, but they're not answering the phone!
sad.png
I do hold him/her a lot and snuggle, but I'm not a good chicken substitute.

Back
Top Bottom