Does my chick NEED a lamp if she's not outside?

Chickens do not like to be alone, even for a short time. Everything in a chicken's world revolves around the flock. Feeding, preening, dustbathing, foraging, roosting. It all revolves around the flock as a group and the social order. By keeping a single chicken, you are taking on the role of being her flock which is a 24/7 commitment. Chickens NEED their flock all day, everyday. Constant company is just as important as food and water.

Chickens do not like to be alone, even for a short time. Everything in a chicken's world revolves around the flock. Feeding, preening, dustbathing, foraging, roosting. It all revolves around the flock as a group and the social order. By keeping a single chicken, you are taking on the role of being her flock which is a 24/7 commitment. Chickens NEED their flock all day, everyday. Constant company is just as important as food and water.

Thank you for this info. I had, No idea. I have 4 dogs and 2 cats, and they are All getting used to one another. I want my girl to be ok with my dogs so they can all be together. From what I'm reading on the "house chicken" thread, it seems to be the norm. So I'm hoping that her "flock " can be, me and the dogs! But I might just have to get another chicken....lol...oh darn! Can't think of a worse thing to happen! Teeheehee!
But, thank you for letting me know. I don't want my girl to be depressed or die cause of my ignorance! So thank you for the info. You all have helped me more than the dumb feed store people. Which sell chickens! Smh! They told me that my chickens age was 3 weeks (they didn't sell her to me, they just looked at a picture ) and that at 3 weeks old she needs to have a body temperature of 95 degrees! I think they just wanted to sell me a bunch of stuff! Anyways, thank you again.
Jacquie

Not a good idea to leave her alone in the company of 4 dogs and 2 cats. So many people have made that mistake. Let their girls out of their run to hang out in the yard with the dog, bird spooks, dog chases, bird is dead. Then they come here shocked, and go on about how the dog never even looked at the birds before. And not just big dogs. Chihuahuas can kill chickens too. Owner reasoning in those cases always goes something like this 'She's so small/timid/sweet, I just could never imagine her hurting anything.' Fact of the matter is, dogs are predators and chickens are prey.
And if she really sees them as her flock, she's not going to be happy to be confined and separated from them, even if it's for her own protection.

I've been around dogs my whole life, and one thing I know for sure, ANY dog can become violent. Especially with other types of animals. I would Never leave this chicken alone with the dogs....or cats. I know that they are naturally enemies. I can't believe people can be so ignorant. But again, thank you for the warning. I'm figuring out where my girl is going to live....and if she lives outside, then I will get her a friend. But for now, she is in the house and she comes and goes as she pleases. I have a cage in the bathroom for her, with her food and water, and when she is done hanging out with me, she jumps down and goes to the cage. I leave the door open. Then she comes back awhile later....she's very smart and I just let her do what she wants. Lol....

Please do not misunderstand the tone of my message, it is not meant to be rude or snotty. She needs another chicken (at least one) whether you put her outside or not. It totally unfair to her if you do not.

Please do not misunderstand the tone of my message, it is not meant to be rude or snotty.  She needs another chicken (at least one) whether you put her outside or not.  It totally unfair to her if you do not.

Thank you Very much for the advice. And I don't think it sounds rude, Definitely not snotty. I know NOTHING about taking care of a chicken, that's why I came here, so Any advice I get I will take seriously. I grew up with Tons of different pets,I am an animal lover. And I know the importance of their wellbeing and doing what's right for the animal, not what I want. I had No idea how smart these animals...and I would be devastated if she were to die cause I didn't get her a friend. Which I plan on doing. And until that time, she has spent most of the time with me. She knows where her cage is, with her food and water, and she will jump down and go there. I take her outside to sum bathe, and to eat grass. Again, I'm getting her a friend...and I appreciate any helpful advice :)

Back
Top Bottom