does my chicken have frostbire

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whirlwindschicks, Dec 26, 2011.

1. whirlwindschicks

whirlwindschicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    My roosters comb and waddle are white on the tips and the tips are turning black. What do I do?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    If you think it's frostbite..and it has been that cold out. Vasoline is great on their combs...insulates them:)

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First you can put a heat lamp in the coop. (secure so you don't start a fire)

And then for the comb, the best you can do is to put a little neosporin on the comb every day. The comb won't grow back, but the black will eventually fall off.

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Welcome to BYC
    If the weather gets below freezing, the birds are at risk of frostbite. Be sure the coop isn't holding humidity and is well ventilated if possible. As the poster above
    stated, You may want to hang heat lamps in the coop making it above freezing in there - but not by much. Put neosporin on the comb and wattle daily, the black
    tips should fall off. If it gets infected, which IS a possibility, you will have to get a sharp pair of scissors and trim off the black on the comb and/or wattle.
    Frostbite is dangerous. It not only can set up infection - which can kill, but may also cause fertility problems. To protect the toes, be sure that the perches are
    wide enough so that when the bird perches, the feathers cover the feet. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by