Does my duckling have a sore throat or is she just starting to quack?

MelodicCreation

Hatching
May 6, 2015
Hi! I'm a new duck keeper, and I have two beautiful Campbell ducklings, one Khaki and one white. The Khaki is called Waddlesworth and the white is called Jemima or Jem for ease of reference! Jemima seemed a bit more lazy when we first got her and more prone to sitting/not walking around as much. I worried she was weaker (she was smaller than Waddlesworth and seemed a little more behind considering that they were both hatched on the same night - she came from a smaller egg apparently - but I know that ducklings have different personalities and this may just be a part of hers), just in case I did get her brewers yeast and she has actually caught up her sister and both are about the same size - if not Jemima is actually a tiny bit bigger than Waddles, they're both very happy, vocal and healthy ducks as far as I can tell, they've been on the brewers yeast about a week, and I think there has a been a tiny bit of improvement with the walking but she does still lay a lot.

They are now 2 weeks old, and my little Jemima seems to be making noises in her sleep as if her throat might be sore. She's still very happy, not lethargic at all and curious as ever, eating and drinking fine. I just wondered if this is her voice "breaking" and she's getting close to quacking! I saw a post on the forum recently where someone said the earliest they'd had their babies quack was about 3 weeks, I'm just wondering if this is a sign that my girls are getting close to it.
big_smile.png

Sorry for the long post! Just making sure I have all bases covered! They've grown so quickly and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if she started quacking tomorrow at this point! They surprise me every day with how quickly they grow just overnight. They look like they're growing by the hour sometimes!

I'm glad to know mine isn't the only one! I was worried it was a respiratory problem. When I pick her up she sounds a bit like air is whooshing out of her, and my other duckie doesn't do that. She's always seemed to not bother dipping her beak into the water to clear her nostrils like the other does. I'm hoping she hasn't got dust stuck in her nose or something and it's caused a breathing issue.

Maybe it's worth getting her checked by a vet just incase.

One or two of mine are doing the same raspy half-quack, they seem perfectly healthy and active. I think they might talk in their sleep since the peeps and squeeks never really cease.

My duckie is now 4weeks and she has been doing an odd wAnnabE quack like sound also, it's low and cute. I'll make a quack noise to her and most of the time she'll try to copy me and make the silly honk like noise

Back
Top Bottom