Does my hen look old enough to start laying? photo attached

TexasChick09

Songster
10 Years
Sep 25, 2009
I bought some "Ameraucana" chicks at the feed store in late April. They grew into lovely EEs but have not hinted at making an egg yet. I have out laying boxes and fake eggs. I also feed them laying crumbles along with their other food and oyster shell. Anyway, I was wondering what the experts think about how mature they look as I don't have a clue.

Here is 1 of the 6 pullets in "turnout".
ck__birds_0671.jpg

Here is my roo of the same age in case it helps any. I also wondered if there was a name for his color pattern.

ck__birds_0391.jpg

The other parts of chickens in the photo are from a much younger batch I purchased of Rainbow Egg Layers, mostly EEs, in July. I may post some photos of the ones I have no been able to identify yet.

thanks for any help!

Oh yeah!! I told them the other day that if I didn't get to eat eggs soon, I would have to start eating chickens. Maybe that will scare them into producing? lol. I did notice one of them squatting when I went to pet her or pick her up and I heard that is a sign that they may be close to laying, but wasn't sure.

I cannot wait to have real eggs again. I had chickens growing up and I love fresh eggs. I've been paying a fortune for organic free range eggs at the store and decided to get chickens again since I live on a farm. I have the 7 (6 pullets, 1 roo) from April, then I ordered 25 at the end of June from a hatchery. I only received 23 and lost 2 of them that managed to somehow burrow under the mesh fencing in the alleyway into the dog kennel.

Thanks again!

I'd agree with "getting close" - mine just started laying last week, and they were hatched Mid-March. So yours are a few weeks behind mine, so be patient.
smile.png

BEAUTIFUL birds, by the way!
big_smile.png
love.gif

My 3 EE are about 21 weeks old. I got my first egg today:clap Her comb is very slightly redder than your girl, but not by much. My other two have a ways to go. Hopefully you'll be having eggs from her within the next week or two:) Good Luck!!

Tks! I think they are hilarious and love to go sit with them and just watch them.

This is the roo with 2 of the other older pullets and one younger one in their turnout area. Their coop/yard is completely covered and attached to my hay barn/ barn replacement part shed. I let them loose to run in the alley between their yard and the stables and even though they could go out in the pasture around the barn, they rarely travel out of their alleyway unless they are following me. I tend to think that one of my Thoroughbreds may chase them though. I haven't caught him yet, but loves to torture the feral barn cats and chase dogs out of the pasture.

ck__birds_0101.jpg

These 3 are from my younger group. I think the silvery EE is going to be a roo as well (he was picked/pecked and is just now starting to get his feathers back). I'm still trying to figure out what the breed the black one with white specks is. I know the barred one is one of 2 breeds judging by photos I've looked up, just not sure how to tell the difference in the different barred breeds.

ck__birds_0461.jpg

Back
Top Bottom