does my kid need a trim?

dancingflame

Chirping
Aug 15, 2020
hi, so we bought a goat a few days ago, and while i don’t know her exact age, she is young (still has umbilical cord but is weaned)… i was wondering when i should trim her hooves? the seller didn’t mention having ever done it and this is my first goat. i’m learning more about them but don’t know all that much yet. :(
all of her hooves look relatively the same. is this normal for baby goats or does she need trimmed?

Attachments

• 5F47A586-D091-4AEB-9667-E9217FB24DF8.jpeg
    5F47A586-D091-4AEB-9667-E9217FB24DF8.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 29
while i don’t know her exact age, she is young (still has umbilical cord but is weaned)
All the mammals I know lose their umbilical cord well before they are old enough to be weaned. The internet seems to be telling me that is true of goats too. (I don't personally have experience with goats.)

So I am worried that either this goat is too young to be weaned, or that this goat has something wrong with the umbilical cord for it to still be present. Are you able to post a photo of it? (I am curious to see it, even though I probably can't offer any useful advice about it.)

You say you don't know the kid's exact age, but do you have an estimate? Baby goats are usually weaned at about eight weeks. Is this kid a bottle baby or was she nursing on her mother? What are you feeding her? The fact that she still has her umbilical cord makes me think she is less than eight weeks old.

All the mammals I know lose their umbilical cord well before they are old enough to be weaned. The internet seems to be telling me that is true of goats too. (I don't personally have experience with goats.)

So I am worried that either this goat is too young to be weaned, or that this goat has something wrong with the umbilical cord for it to still be present. Are you able to post a photo of it? (I am curious to see it, even though I probably can't offer any useful advice about it.)
You say you don't know the kid's exact age, but do you have an estimate? Baby goats are usually weaned at about eight weeks. Is this kid a bottle baby or was she nursing on her mother? What are you feeding her? The fact that she still has her umbilical cord makes me think she is less than eight weeks old.
hi everyone! sorry for taking so long to get back!
she still does seem to have an umbilical cord! at least that’s what i believe it is, but i’m not sure at all. :( is this normal?

Attachments

• 3CCB221C-3E11-47CB-8450-7F3F4B439AD1.jpeg
    3CCB221C-3E11-47CB-8450-7F3F4B439AD1.jpeg
    611 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
hi everyone! sorry for taking so long to get back!
she still does seem to have an umbilical cord! at least that’s what i believe it is, but i’m not sure at all. :( is this normal?
Is it completely dry? If it is I think it must just be taking rather longer then normal for some reason, but should be OK.
If however there's any sort of weeping or swelling ( but it's normal to have a slight bump there) then I would be concerned that it could be infected

The umbilical is fine as far as the health of the goat is concerned. However, the fact that it is still there makes me think the kid is less than eight weeks of age.

Is it completely dry? If it is I think it must just be taking rather longer then normal for some reason, but should be OK.
If however there's any sort of weeping or swelling ( but it's normal to have a slight bump there) then I would be concerned that it could be infected
The umbilical is fine as far as the health of the goat is concerned. However, the fact that it is still there makes me think the kid is less than eight weeks of age.
it is completely dry, and as far as i’ve noticed, there doesn’t seem to be any sort of swelling or weeping present. as of this post, we’ve had her over five weeks. the seller had sold her to us saying she was weaned and of age to sell, but as i’m still learning about owning goats, i’m not sure how true that is. she has definitely been eating totally normal goat feed and doesn’t seem to have an issues despite her cord still being there… i have no clue how or why it’s still there :(

So we have sheep (and cattle), but this is just a thought on the cord. By 8 weeks it should be gone, it could have dried and gotten matted to a piece of hair and is mostly detached, but it could still look attached with just that tiny bit of hair (or thicker dried skin)not letting it fall off. Belly doesn't look infected or anything so it's probably just stuck there (my opinion, I'm not a vet). We had friends that they got some show sheep and the breeder banded their testicles, well all the others had fallen off but one of them (all banded the same day, all had been banded about a month). We went to help them shear and they showed my daughter ( @Fluffy Lambs ). She got to looking and it was literally holding on by one tiny piece of skin (that was just crusted and dry). She pulled with no pressure one time and it detached and was completely healed. So sometimes it could be something like that that keeps it on. As far as the feet (with the exception of the back heel part) the fronts, yes, only needed a tiny trim (just shows your kid is eating good).

Back
Top Bottom