Does my new Silkie have an anxiety disorder...?

flowerchicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
n. california
Well, I went to the N. CA Chickenstock on Saturday and got myself a cute little blue (maybe splash, not sure and it doesnt really matter, but would love feedback) silkie to keep my little black feed store silkie (Clover) company. They are the same size, my feed store chick is 12 weeks old, but I am not sure of the age of the new chick. It is heavier than Clover and doesnt have as many new feathers coming in, so I am assuming the new chick is a couple weeks older. I am also pretty sure its a cockerel
th.gif
but, anyhooooo, here is my question, the new chick, Lavy, is very "chirpy". I mean, when I bring them in for the evening (yes, I bring them both inside, they are house silkies at night
tongue.png
) he is very loud until he settles on my shoulder and finally starts to relax, then he will chirp and "trill" softly. He is very "needy" and is constantly trying to get under Clover, which she hates. He stands outside the patio door in the evening and stares into the window waiting for me to bring him in. He is very sweet (which will hopefully make for a sweet rooster, unlike the beast I have now
somad.gif
) but I have not encountered such a vocal chick before. Does this have to do with the fact that his environment is still somewhat new to him, and will he be more relaxed with time? From what I have read, cockerels are supposed to me more outgoing and self-confident, but he seems a bit clueless, poor guy.
hugs.gif

39406_imag01741.jpg

Oh, he's tame alright, he actually comes when I call him. He was definitely hand raised and is very used to people and their hands. He is just sooooooooo vocal. I am hoping that a vocal chick equals a quiet rooster
big_smile.png

Well, one would think, except my first silkie, and only rooster for now, never made any sounds, and he NEVER stops crowing. I mean, when he is on a roll, it's every 8-10 seconds. I didnt even know silkies made these sounds until I got these two. My silkie cochin x does the "trill" sound but she is the only one I have heard do that besides these two.

What a sweet heart!! I hope my 2 (5 days old) are as sweet as yours when they get older.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom