Does my new Silkie have an anxiety disorder...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flowerchicks, Jun 9, 2010.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Well, I went to the N. CA Chickenstock on Saturday and got myself a cute little blue (maybe splash, not sure and it doesnt really matter, but would love feedback) silkie to keep my little black feed store silkie (Clover) company. They are the same size, my feed store chick is 12 weeks old, but I am not sure of the age of the new chick. It is heavier than Clover and doesnt have as many new feathers coming in, so I am assuming the new chick is a couple weeks older. I am also pretty sure its a cockerel [​IMG] but, anyhooooo, here is my question, the new chick, Lavy, is very "chirpy". I mean, when I bring them in for the evening (yes, I bring them both inside, they are house silkies at night [​IMG] ) he is very loud until he settles on my shoulder and finally starts to relax, then he will chirp and "trill" softly. He is very "needy" and is constantly trying to get under Clover, which she hates. He stands outside the patio door in the evening and stares into the window waiting for me to bring him in. He is very sweet (which will hopefully make for a sweet rooster, unlike the beast I have now [​IMG] ) but I have not encountered such a vocal chick before. Does this have to do with the fact that his environment is still somewhat new to him, and will he be more relaxed with time? From what I have read, cockerels are supposed to me more outgoing and self-confident, but he seems a bit clueless, poor guy.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    He may just be tame and clueless by nature, like some humans I know... [​IMG]

3. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Oh, he's tame alright, he actually comes when I call him. He was definitely hand raised and is very used to people and their hands. He is just sooooooooo vocal. I am hoping that a vocal chick equals a quiet rooster [​IMG]

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:I think a vocal chick would make a cock-a-doodle all day rooster! unfortunetly...

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I have a sweet adult Roo who chirps and trills and coos when in my lap. When he is happy. I think your boy is just showing he is happy to have you. [​IMG]

6. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Well, one would think, except my first silkie, and only rooster for now, never made any sounds, and he NEVER stops crowing. I mean, when he is on a roll, it's every 8-10 seconds. I didnt even know silkies made these sounds until I got these two. My silkie cochin x does the "trill" sound but she is the only one I have heard do that besides these two.

7. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    What a sweet heart!! I hope my 2 (5 days old) are as sweet as yours when they get older. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by