Can you "train" 2 silkie roosters to get along?

SeashellRanch

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2024
Hello all, please bear with me as I am a new chicken mama! I have 2 silkie roosters from the same bunch, raised together, they are 6 months old. As of over a month ago, the black one goes after the blonde one, chases him, gets his tail.. he is so aggressive with the blondie! Actually makes a beeline for him if he sees him. For now I keep them separated unless I am outside watching them. Blondie is sweet, and stands up for himself to the hens if they try to peck him, but runs from this black one. So my question is (sounds silly) but is it possible to get the black one to be nice? The black one has already established that he is king of the hill, so... any suggestions? I love them both and would hate to re-home one of them!

I would pen the black one up for about a week. That might reset them. I've got 3 silkie roosters that all get along, but there are fights now and then. It's just if they fight to the point of drawing blood, one's got to go.

Even roosters raised together can decide that they won't tolerate each other. I see it happen every year with my birds that hatch out in the flocks.
Sometimes yes that can happen and I have had it happen too.
It's normally over hens... if you have plenty of hens - normally you will not have any problems.

I would like to thank yall for such helpful advice. I have 6 hens, not little bantams though. So the blondie holds his own around them, but the black one doesn’t. I am thinking of adding in 2 silkie hens to see if that helps. I really love these two! They’re from the same hatchling bunch/ raised together so I am surprised they’re not getting along. There were originally 4 of them: 3 black and 1 blondie. The blond one crowed first and looked like a rooster totally with red waddles, a strong comb- it seemed like they all fought so I rehomed two black ones, kept one black one and this blondie too 🤔🤔 but still I am having this issue.

Welcome!
Two more pullets or hens won't make a difference here. Is anyone injured? That would be a 'remove one' for me here. Also relentless chasing, not good at all.
Separation, if it will matter at all, needs to be weeks, not days. And with cockerels, it may make fights worse, not better.
Best advice here, keep the one that you like best, and fits best with your females, and rehome the other one. If either are thinking bad thoughts in your direction, definitely remove that one!
Saturday I rehomed our adult rooster, who was making life difficult for the two cockerels I plan to keep. Now we'll see how the two youngsters get along, hoping to keep both of them. Maybe. And we have 27 hens and pullets! Maturing cockerels can get along together, or not, and it's just not up to you how they respond to each other.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom