Rehoming Rooster, do I replace him?

5OneChick

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jul 17, 2023
San Gabriel Valley CA.
It’s been almost a year since we became chicken parents. The chickens are viewed as pets in addition to egg layers.

Reluctantly we’ve decided our 11 month old black copper maran should be rehomed. He attacks 4yo grandson, hubby and I, our Australian Shepard and most recently one of our three newer (4-ish month old) silkies. They are no longer left alone in the part of the yard with the older birds.

He has seemed to provide rooster protection. When he’s not picking on our two 11 month old silkies, if they squawk cus they can’t find the flock, he’ll call out to them or go check on them. It’s frustrating to see him act like a pimp with 5 standard hens. The mating thing appears so brutal. Our yard has many trees and shrubs and is quite secure from most ground predators while flock is foraging. One of those wavy man air blowing things is powered up to deter aerial predators when they’re let out of the coop. At night, all are locked up in hen house that sits above their run. Not looking to fertilize eggs.

FYI we don’t run away when he attacks us, instead we call him out on being a jerk and chase, (walking) him around the yard letting him know we’re PO’d.

Should we replace him?
It’s my understanding his behavior is common. But I also hear about nice roosters.
If replacing him is suggested, do we start with a chick? Adult?
What about a silkie roo?

Attachments

• IMG_6122.jpeg
    IMG_6122.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 70
It’s been almost a year since we became chicken parents. The chickens are viewed as pets in addition to egg layers.

Reluctantly we’ve decided our 11 month old black copper maran should be rehomed. He attacks 4yo grandson, hubby and I, our Australian Shepard and most recently one of our three newer (4-ish month old) silkies. They are no longer left alone in the part of the yard with the older birds.

He has seemed to provide rooster protection. When he’s not picking on our two 11 month old silkies, if they squawk cus they can’t find the flock, he’ll call out to them or go check on them. It’s frustrating to see him act like a pimp with 5 standard hens. The mating thing appears so brutal. Our yard has many trees and shrubs and is quite secure from most ground predators while flock is foraging. One of those wavy man air blowing things is powered up to deter aerial predators when they’re let out of the coop. At night, all are locked up in hen house that sits above their run. Not looking to fertilize eggs.

FYI we don’t run away when he attacks us, instead we call him out on being a jerk and chase, (walking) him around the yard letting him know we’re PO’d.

Should we replace him?
It’s my understanding his behavior is common. But I also hear about nice roosters.
If replacing him is suggested, do we start with a chick? Adult?
What about a silkie roo?
I think you should get a plymouth rock, and spend alot of quality time with him. also, you should get him a hen his age so he is not isolated when he goes to join the other birds.

I have a nice Plymouth Barred Rock, but I also have a meat rooster, and he is a menace. I keep him fenced in, and soon I am going to get rid of him.

We also had a nasty rooster who spurred me once too often. We rehomed him and got another who was a bit younger than the hens we had. He is gentle and afraid of humans so won't attack anyone.
Having a rooster has its benefits, he keeps a constant eye out for predators and saved the life of several of our hens with his warnings. He finds food, calls the girls over to eat it, and generally tries to keep the flock happy.
I would get another but don't "blindly" accept one that you can't interact with first. Unfortunately, roosters were bred for aggression thousands of years ago as "cockfights" were seen as a form of entertainment. The gene for meanness still shows up in some of them even today.

I’m not sure how much True protection a rooster actually provides when it comes down to a determined predator and a docile friendly rooster is even less likely to provide deterrence. I think rehoming him is the way to go. I’d skip having a rooster till down the line, if at all, certainly past the point where you have a 4 year old around. 4 years olds and hens, now that’s a magical combination.

Several years ago I heard our rooster carrying on like I'd never heard before. warning song on overdrive, I immediately ran out back to see a coyote carrying our buff orpington off in his mouth. I screamed and ran at the predator, who was so shocked he dropped her and ran off. Aside from being scared and missing some feathers, she was fine. Last year I had a hawk swoop down in a tear in our bird netting and attack a hen. The rooster carried on again and rounded the girls into the corner. Unfortunately by the time I got out there, it had killed one, but his alerting me saved the rest of the flock.

Wrathsfarm said: "A rooster is not a pet in a flock setting. He won't allow a 4 year old to run around the yard picking up 'His' girls."

I wouldn't allow a 4 year old to run around the yard grabbing my hens either...That just traumatizes them. A child should be gently handed a hen and shown how to hold her, not chase them around...

Wrathsfarm said: "A rooster is not a pet in a flock setting. He won't allow a 4 year old to run around the yard picking up 'His' girls."

I wouldn't allow a 4 year old to run around the yard grabbing my hens either...That just traumatizes them. A child should be gently handed a hen and shown how to hold her, not chase them around...
This is true and I agree, my statement was more generalized to roosters.
Allowing your toddler to run amock chasing your hens is a whole nother thread... 🤣

Back
Top Bottom