Rehoming Rooster, do I replace him?

🤔 I need to learn more about this concept of gamefoul. Any articles are welcome but I’ll also research on my own.

For a few months I tried really hard to work with my roo. But the last two weeks, he’s been increasingly more frequent with trying to establish dominance through a rough peck or lame body slam.

When I meander in the yard and dig for worms, it seems like the rooster stands real close to me as I bend over, and stares at my face. It’s almost like he’s planning my demise and contemplating where he will bury my bloodied body when it’s over. I just tell him don’t even think about it with a the stern look on my face, and stare back at him.
So I decided to rehome and not wait until he causes real injury and I end up giving him away for soup.

It’s been almost a year since we became chicken parents. The chickens are viewed as pets in addition to egg layers.

Reluctantly we’ve decided our 11 month old black copper maran should be rehomed. He attacks 4yo grandson, hubby and I, our Australian Shepard and most recently one of our three newer (4-ish month old) silkies. They are no longer left alone in the part of the yard with the older birds.

He has seemed to provide rooster protection. When he’s not picking on our two 11 month old silkies, if they squawk cus they can’t find the flock, he’ll call out to them or go check on them. It’s frustrating to see him act like a pimp with 5 standard hens. The mating thing appears so brutal. Our yard has many trees and shrubs and is quite secure from most ground predators while flock is foraging. One of those wavy man air blowing things is powered up to deter aerial predators when they’re let out of the coop. At night, all are locked up in hen house that sits above their run. Not looking to fertilize eggs.

FYI we don’t run away when he attacks us, instead we call him out on being a jerk and chase, (walking) him around the yard letting him know we’re PO’d.

Should we replace him?
It’s my understanding his behavior is common. But I also hear about nice roosters.
If replacing him is suggested, do we start with a chick? Adult?
What about a silkie roo?
I have a bunch of roosters which I am giving away and only one is really aggressive towards humans. Actually I gave him away yesterday.
Tomorrow morning I will be giving away 15 more.
Too bad I did not know about your situation. I feel really bad about giving away one of them.
Very docile rooster. Did not mind being handled but did not volunteer for it. If you tried to pick him up, he would walk away. If you did manage to grab him, you could hold him and pat him without any problems. Big boy too. Probably 10lbs or more.
I would had loved to had shipped him to a good home.

I have a bunch of roosters which I am giving away and only one is really aggressive towards humans. Actually I gave him away yesterday.
Too bad I did not know about your situation. I feel really bad about giving away one of them.
Very docile rooster. Did not mind being handled but did not volunteer for it. If you tried to pick him up, he would walk away. If you did manage to grab him, you could hold him and pat him without any problems. Big boy too. Probably 10lbs or more.
Ah that’s so kind of you to say.
We’re still looking for a suitable home for him. He’s still naughty. Gave me a firm peck when I was putting them to bed and laying out treats.

There was a local poultry farm/breeder that took 2 other roosters of mine for a small fee. But I haven’t heard back from them yet.

Was just thinking, although I read your post the other day…
This might be a silly question, but are full grown chickens/roosters shipped? I’ve kept my search very local, and I’ve had no luck finding anybody to take our rooster that won’t make him soup. Do you think I should offer him up on BYC?
Honestly, I’d rather have him culled, then put an ad in Craigslist and hand him off to someone miserable or unscrupulous with animals.

Even silkie roos can be mean, despite the gentle reputation of the breed. My rooster Quasimodo is the proof
IMG_2859.png

Back
Top Bottom