Rehoming Rooster, do I replace him?

Should we replace him?
You do not want fertile eggs so you do not need to. Any other reason is personal preference. Some people would not be without a rooster, some people are very happy without one.

It is possible a rooster will risk attacking a predator to defend his flock but from what I've seen the large majority will lead the flock to safety instead of attempting a fighting retreat. Roosters are typically more alert and can sometimes provide warning, but often the dominant hen will take on that role. Not always but often.

It’s my understanding his behavior is common. But I also hear about nice roosters.
Some people consider wife beating to be fairly common, That doesn't mean it is acceptable.

If replacing him is suggested, do we start with a chick? Adult?
People do it both ways. Mature hens sometimes bully a cockerel, sometimes brutally. Often they don't. Growing up in the flock can sometimes be dramatic. I raise my replacement roosters (and hens) as chicks in the flock. But I have over 2,000 square feet or space. The more space you have the more likely you can avoid the drama.

If you bring in a rooster at least a year old he should be able to WOW! the hens with his magnificence and self-confidence. Typically he mates one or two and the flock is his, a very peaceful integration. Occasionally you get a dominant hen that does not want to give up her dominant position or you get a rooster that is a wimp. It can get pretty rough. It depends on the personality of the rooster and the hens.

Both ways often work pretty smoothy but occasionally you can have issues with either method.

What about a silkie roo?
To me it depends on the individual personality of the boy and the girls. To me, breed is not relevant. You can have success or failure with any breed.

Last edited:
We also had a nasty rooster who spurred me once too often. We rehomed him and got another who was a bit younger than the hens we had. He is gentle and afraid of humans so won't attack anyone.
Having a rooster has its benefits, he keeps a constant eye out for predators and saved the life of several of our hens with his warnings. He finds food, calls the girls over to eat it, and generally tries to keep the flock happy.
I would get another but don't "blindly" accept one that you can't interact with first. Unfortunately, roosters were bred for aggression thousands of years ago as "cockfights" were seen as a form of entertainment. The gene for meanness still shows up in some of them even today.
No need for a rooster if you don't want fertilized eggs. And if you want your grandson to interact with your hens, it's safest to be rooster free.
You should re-home him to someone with full disclosure of his behavior.
Sorry you have to re-home him, he's a handsome boy.

Absolute full disclosure will be provided! Thank you for the input.

We also had a nasty rooster who spurred me once too often. We rehomed him and got another who was a bit younger than the hens we had. He is gentle and afraid of humans so won't attack anyone.
Having a rooster has its benefits, he keeps a constant eye out for predators and saved the life of several of our hens with his warnings. He finds food, calls the girls over to eat it, and generally tries to keep the flock happy.
I would get another but don't "blindly" accept one that you can't interact with first. Unfortunately, roosters were bred for aggression thousands of years ago as "cockfights" were seen as a form of entertainment. The gene for meanness still shows up in some of them even today.
I didn’t realize how far back cockfighting went! Thank you for the constructive feedback 😊

You do not want fertile eggs so you do not need to. Any other reason is personal preference. Soen people would not be without a rooster, some people are very happy without one.

It is possible a rooster will risk attacking a predator to defend his flock but from what I've seen the large majority will lead the flock to safety instead of attempting a fighting retreat. Roosters are typically more alert and can sometimes provide warning, but often the dominant hen will take on that role. Not always but often.

Some people consider wife beating to be fairly common, That doesn't mean it is acceptable.

People do it both ways. Mature hens sometimes bully a cockerel, sometimes brutally. Often they don't. Growing up in the flock can sometimes be dramatic. I raise my replacement roosters (and hens) as chicks in the flock. But I have over 2,000 square feet or space. The more space you have the more likely you can avoid the drama.

If you bring in a rooster at least a year old he should be able to WOW! the hens with his magnificence and self-confidence. Typically he mates one or two and the flock is his, a very peaceful integration. Occasionally you get a dominant hen that does not want to give up her dominant position or you get a rooster that is a wimp. It can get pretty rough. It depends on the personality of the rooster and the hens.

Both ways often work pretty smoothy but occasionally you can have issues with either method.

To me it depends on the individual personality of the boy and the girls. To me, breed is not relevant. You can have success or failure with any breed.
Your comprehensive and objective feedback Wowed me! Thank you for your time and effort, it’s truly appreciated.

LOL, you got a lot of constructive opinions. If you choose to "interview" a new rooster for gentleness, or just do without one, you will be fine...just PLEASE don't let children chase hens around no matter if they have a roo or not. It is traumatic.
I cringe when I see videos of kids mishandling cats, dogs, chickens, etc. Parents need to supervise and teach. Suddenly an animal will do what comes naturally and protect themselves, then get blamed when a child is injured. Not the animal's fault...My sister euthanized a wonderful dog b/c her son tormented it until it bit him...Wasn't the dog's fault.

Several years ago I heard our rooster carrying on like I'd never heard before. warning song on overdrive, I immediately ran out back to see a coyote carrying our buff orpington off in his mouth. I screamed and ran at the predator, who was so shocked he dropped her and ran off. Aside from being scared and missing some feathers, she was fine. Last year I had a hawk swoop down in a tear in our bird netting and attack a hen. The rooster carried on again and rounded the girls into the corner. Unfortunately by the time I got out there, it had killed one, but his alerting me saved the rest of the flock.

Wrathsfarm said: "A rooster is not a pet in a flock setting. He won't allow a 4 year old to run around the yard picking up 'His' girls."

I wouldn't allow a 4 year old to run around the yard grabbing my hens either...That just traumatizes them. A child should be gently handed a hen and shown how to hold her, not chase them around...
Amazing that the coyote dropped your hen! It sounds like something I would have done. I yell at & chase away coyotes whenever they make themselves close enough to hear me.
Chasing any creature that doesn’t want to be handled would not be tolerated by us. While sitting down the children are gently handed only hens that are willing to be held. Strict supervision is given, reminding kiddos to respect God’s creatures needs, including need for space, their fears and other natural instincts.
It’s a big yard but now (after reading some comments) I can see how the roo might not appreciate a kiddo running a muck even in the distance.

LOL, you got a lot of constructive opinions. If you choose to "interview" a new rooster for gentleness, or just do without one, you will be fine...just PLEASE don't let children chase hens around no matter if they have a roo or not. It is traumatic.
I cringe when I see videos of kids mishandling cats, dogs, chickens, etc. Parents need to supervise and teach. Suddenly an animal will do what comes naturally and protect themselves, then get blamed when a child is injured. Not the animal's fault...My sister euthanized a wonderful dog b/c her son tormented it until it bit him...Wasn't the dog's fault.
Had a reply ready to go and got pulled away before sending. Just sent.
It’s almost never the animal’s fault when something unfortunate happens. First time was on me / my stupidity. Other times were on gpa and the dad. It is the responsibility of the adult. Although the child honestly didn’t do anything to deserve a rooster foot to his chest, the adults knew the possibility existed! Needless to say I did not let them blame the roo or the child.

Until we find a suitable home for our cowardly rooster who tries to attack us from behind while providing treats, he gets put away in a small secure coop while grandbabies are over.

Thanks for your similar love and respect of animals.

Wild junglefowl become violent only during breeding season. For the modern production chicken breeding season is now all year, every year

This is why production breeds are often known for human aggression. Gamefowl on the other hand are typically very kind to humans because the cowards that fight chickens don't want their own chickens attacking them

I have a variety of game breeds for free-ranging egg production and the roosters are universally very peaceful in regards to humans

Wild junglefowl become violent only during breeding season. For the modern production chicken breeding season is now all year, every year

This is why production breeds are often known for human aggression. Gamefowl on the other hand are typically very kind to humans because the cowards that fight chickens don't want their own chickens attacking them

I have a variety of game breeds for free-ranging egg production and the roosters are universally very peaceful in regards to humans
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, those who get pleasure from watching any animal fight should be locked in a cage about 5X5, fed dog food (or chicken food), and let out occasionally to fight each other to the death.

I never felt like our aggressive rooster was being mean, he just didn't want any human coming in the pen with his girls. I did get some nasty spur wounds though before I figured out how to lure him in one direction, then grab him and hold him. Funny, he settled right down then and my wife would trim his spurs. She was terrified of him though and only came in when I was seated with the roo securely in my lap. Animals do what they do for
1. Self-preservation, 2. They are sick. or 3. Nasty humans taught them to be mean,

Back
Top Bottom