Does my rooster have vent gleet

Attila the Hen

Crowing
11 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Blue Ridge GA
My rooster has been unwell for at least a month. It looks like he is impacted with feces.
I have soaked his bottom and removed the plug and sprayed him with athlete’s foot medication once a day. He recovers well for a couple days.
Tonight I removed another plug of feces and it appeared to have a fatty white substance around his vent. It was also a bit bloody and raw.
I applied neosporin.
I would appreciate any and all advice.
Many thanks.

My rooster has been unwell for at least a month. It looks like he is impacted with feces.
I have soaked his bottom and removed the plug and sprayed him with athlete’s foot medication once a day. He recovers well for a couple days.
Tonight I removed another plug of feces and it appeared to have a fatty white substance around his vent. It was also a bit bloody and raw.
I applied neosporin.
Many thanks.
Can you please post pictures of his vent?
How old is he?
What are you feeding him?

Can you please post pictures of his vent?
How old is he?
What are you feeding him?
I will take pictures tomorrow and send. I don't know how old he is though he is probably old -- maybe 5-7 years old? His legs are old and scabby looking and he's getting picked on by young roos. He spends all day alone in the greenhouse. I feed layer mash, scratch with lots of BOSS. Treats are usually 2 bananas for 21 birds and any other goodies that come along such as fruit, rice, beans etc. I don't think I go overboard with the treats but they do get something daily.
Thanks so much for responding to me,

I applied neosporin.

Many thanks.

I will take pictures tomorrow and send. I don't know how old he is though he is probably old -- maybe 5-7 years old? His legs are old and scabby looking and he's getting picked on by young roos. He spends all day alone in the greenhouse. I feed layer mash, scratch with lots of BOSS. Treats are usually 2 bananas for 21 birds and any other goodies that come along such as fruit, rice, beans etc. I don't think I go overboard with the treats but they do get something daily.
Thanks so much for responding to me,
Do you provide a separate place for him so he can eat/drink in peace?

If he's being picked at by the younger fellas, then it's time for him to be separated out and give some extra care.

Lets that are scabby looking (Photos?) may be an indication of Scaly Leg Mites which are microscopic and live under the scales of the legs and feet.
Do look him over for lice and mites (crawling bugs) on the body as well. Look around the vent, under the wings, at the top of the tail, neck, etc.

See that his crop is emptying overnight. Have you ever dewormed him? A fecal float if that's possible will tell if worms are part of the issue.

I would offer him wet feed and give him 1tsp coconut oil twice a day. Just refrigerate the oil and break it into chunks, my birds love coconut oil and will eat it right up.

Photos of him, his poop, then vent, etc. may all be helpful as well.

Do you provide a separate place for him so he can eat/drink in peace?

If he's being picked at by the younger fellas, then it's time for him to be separated out and give some extra care.

Lets that are scabby looking (Photos?) may be an indication of Scaly Leg Mites which are microscopic and live under the scales of the legs and feet.
Do look him over for lice and mites (crawling bugs) on the body as well. Look around the vent, under the wings, at the top of the tail, neck, etc.

See that his crop is emptying overnight. Have you ever dewormed him? A fecal float if that's possible will tell if worms are part of the issue.

I would offer him wet feed and give him 1tsp coconut oil twice a day. Just refrigerate the oil and break it into chunks, my birds love coconut oil and will eat it right up.

Photos of him, his poop, then vent, etc. may all be helpful as well.
Thanks so much for your response. Good advice. He spends the day in the greenhouse where he isn’t bothered and comes out to see the girls when no other roos are around. I have a very large double walk in coop and he sticks to himself in

Thanks so much for your response. Good advice. He spends the day in the greenhouse where he isn’t bothered and comes out to see the girls when no other roos are around. I have a very large double walk in coop and he sticks to himself in
Got knocked off. I was saying he has a whole coop to himself. I kept him inside last night because I washed him and he was wet.
I have treated him a number of times with Ivermectin and don’t see parasites on him. I’ve also put Vaseline on his legs for mites.
He’s much better today because of the bathing that unplugged him. I also purchased an anti fungal cream today. I think I’ll make sure his bottom is relatively clean daily and apply the cream.
I’m trying not to stress him too much with all my attention. He’s getting more wary of me.
I’ll try the coconut oil as well.
Poor guy has to get better soon as I go out of town in 2 weeks and I doubt my brother wants to deal with a poopy butt.
Again thanks so much for your input and I will post an update.

Back
Top Bottom