Does my Rooster know something I don't??

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
I have a fairly young BCM rooster. (7 months) He has been slow to mature and last week we had a MAJOR dog/people attack and lost 15 chickens. His back and tail feathers are gone but he doesn't notice. LOL

What I have left are pullets and 1 older hen. The older hen hasn't laid since I got her and I don't expect her to until spring. I got her as a brooder. Her previous owner says she will start laying for about a week in the spring then goes broody and repeats until the fall. While I'm not 100% sure on the exact ages of the pullets they haven't shown any "ready to lay" behavior. No bright red comb/waddles, no nesting, no testing out the boxes.

After the attack and decreased numbers I've been remodeling the coops some since I don't have any layers right now......

2 days ago the rooster starts calling the girls to lay. He was on the side of my horse trailer, in a feed bag, in a bucket, giving the COME LAY HERE call. Over and over and over. Of course the girls ignored him like they do ALL the time(poor guy).

I put out a nesting box in the yard near where he was calling them. I'm wondering if he knows something I don't or if he is just practicing with his hormones and maturity.....

Ideas??

He's a very good rooster. He's showing/teaching the pullets where they should lay their eggs. He'll try mating them when they are close to maturity or laying age. The pullets might be too young now, but eventually they will follow his guidance.
smile.png

Awww what a sweet boy. I hope the hens start to follow his cues. My roo calls the girls to the nest box too.

Back
Top Bottom