Does my turkey have bumblefoot?

MsPoultry

Songster
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
I have a broad breasted white turkey hen named Christmas that has a swollen foot.I know that to get bumble foot they have to cut their foot and then it leads to a infection.But I haven't seen a scab or any sign of a wound.Anyone have some info on what this could be?

I would soak the foot for 15-20 minutes in Epsom salt water. To get all the dirt and such off. I could not see a bumblefoot scab on my girl until I did this! Did surgery and she was fine. :)

A picture may help. Usually with bumblefoot, the swelling is on the bottom of the foot on the pad. Is the whole foot swollen as well as the toes? Is there any limping or holding the leg up? There could be a sprain or broken foot if the whole foot is swollen. Mycoplasma synoviae (MS) can cause swelling in one or both feet and joints of the leg. Gout can cause the feet to swell, but I believe it usually involves both feet. Here is a little about MS: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis

Thanks and she has no symptoms in any way to show she has MS she's acts completely normal and she's very healthy she just has one foot that has a swollen pad it's been there for about 2weeks and since she appears to not be in pain I wasn't sure what to do so I decided to see if it would go on its own but it obviously didn't.She doesn't limp.So I think I'm just going to try the Epsom salt tomorrow and I'll tell what I found.Thanks for the help:)

If it is the pad, then I agree that it doesn't fit with MS, but I didn't understand that in the first post. Hopefully, it isn't anything serious. Perhaps it could have just been from trauma from jumping off a high roost or from horseplay in the run.

Yeah she must just been runnin around and hurt herself so I hope the Epsom salt soak goes well.So thanks again.

I was to busy to do it until today but I soaked her foot for 15 minutes and she does have bumble foot and I checked my tom too just to be safe and he too had bumble foot.So I did some research and I'm going to do the surgery myself.Also apparently commercial bred birds have a much higher chance of getting bumble foot and my tom and hen are broad breasted so :(

Soaking the foot does sometimes make it easier to see. Not every case of bumblefoot has to have the surgery, but it is red, swollen, or the chicken or turkey is limping, then that is when I do it. TSC sells disposable scalpels in multipacks in the sheep and cattle department that work great. Here are a couple of good links to read with videos of the surgery:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/how-to-treat-bumblefoot-in-chickens.aspx

Thanks those sites were very helpful and here black spot is about the size of a half dollar coin it doesn't look good and on the other foot she has it as well and it's about the size of a nickel Biscuit(my tom)has one on each foot about the size of a dime I feel terrible I didn't realize this sooner my poor babies:(

If a local vet is an option, I would have it done. Many people prefer to watch the surgery the first time from a pro. Each time you do it, it gets a little easier because you know what to expect. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom