Does our feed have hormones?

keyt1969

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Eaton Rapids, Michigan
A neighbor is getting ready to plant his garden. His daughter who is a med student said she wouldn't eat anything out of his garden because when we cleaned out the barn we threw the dirt in his garden and she says our chickens have added hormones. We mainly use Armada scratch and layer but I don't know how to find out if it has hormones.

Our neighbor doesn't care, he just thinks his daughter is panicking because most med students suddenly show up with the same disease they are studying
gig.gif

I'm just curious if anyone knows?

You're basic mill doesn't add hormones to the feed that you would get in the 40 or 50 lb. sack. The big chicken growers that supply grocery stores deal in millions of chickens, & tons of feed. This is where you'll find hormones mixed in the feed.They add them for rapid growth for mass production.

There are no hormones administered to chickens in any way anywhere in the world. Such drugs do not exist outside of a laboratory, if they exist there. If such drugs came into existence there are already laws in place in most of the world that would forbid their use.

I am sorry that so much money has been wasted on your neighbor's daughter’s education. With such a pitiful lack of knowledge of basic science how did she ever get all the way to med school?

Birdaholic - you are just as seriously misinformed as the "med student".
The big chicken growers that supply grocery stores deal in millions of chickens, & tons of feed. This is where you'll find hormones mixed in the feed.They add them for rapid growth for mass production.

You are entirely wrong in that statement. If you edit away your post I will take reference to it out of mine.​

She would be much better off worrying about bovine growth hormone injected into lactating cattle and ending up in the milk...

From the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS):

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Chicken_from_Farm_To_Table/index.asp#6

Hormones & Antibiotics
No hormones are used in the raising of chickens.

Antibiotics may be used to prevent disease and increase feed efficiency. A "withdrawal" period is required from the time antibiotics are administered before the bird can be slaughtered. This ensures that no residues are present in the bird's system. FSIS randomly samples poultry at slaughter and tests for residues. Data from this monitoring program have shown a very low percentage of residue violations.​

Fred's Hens :

For a med student, he jumped to a very unscientific diagnosis.
wink.png

I was thinking the same thing.
I hope I never get them as a doctor.
You might go in with small cut and come out with only 2 months to live..
wink.png

Chris​

Yeah my old doctor just retired and the new one I saw was .....not so much. She told me I was too fat, well ya. My blood pressure was up, well you just told me I was FAT! I drink to much, well ya, I did raise three kids and have one more to get out of the house, You are, like 20. AND my live enzimes are up, WELL I just broke my shoulder had a bone graft and I have thyroid problems, and then I do have a drink, THEY SHOULD be up. I take so many anti inflamitorys the normal person would probly have bleeding ulsers. AND I didn't even go to school to be a doctor. JUSST give me the zanex so I don't kill my husband when I have to ride in the truck with him at 90 miles an hour down the highway!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom