Does oyster shell size matter?

Relleoms

Songster
6 Years
Jan 22, 2018
Iowa
Is one size/type of oyster shell better? I’ve purchased flakes and bigger, grit-sized “stones”. My girls seem to prefer the flakes, but do they dissolve too quickly? I’ve not had problems with egg shell quality, but after other health issues, I’ve been evaluating my management program.

I used to smash up my own oyster shells but now I just go and buy a 50# bag once in a great while. I put it in with their feed and let them take what they want. Since I also give them a little bit of mixed grains for treats I also put in some granite grit. I haven't had many soft shells. Every once in a great while I may get one but not very often.

I used to smash up my own oyster shells but now I just go and buy a 50# bag once in a great while. I put it in with their feed and let them take what they want. Since I also give them a little bit of mixed grains for treats I also put in some granite grit. I haven't had many soft shells. Every once in a great while I may get one but not very often.
Am I reading that right? You put feed, oyster shell, grit and scratch grains in the same container?

I just buy oyster shell in a 50 lbs bag and never knew it came in different sizes..Grit comes as Grit here too..Different sized in the bag..
Never bothers my Birds..I use a separate container for shell and toss the Grit out in the Run ...

Am I reading that right? You put feed, oyster shell, grit and scratch grains in the same container?
No, I put the oyster shells and grit in the birds feeders but the scratch they get a LITTLE BIT as treats in the evenings when I collect the eggs.This is an old pictures but I have 40# feeders in all of the coops.
IMG_2922.JPG

I do give the birds some grains and seeds and I give them grit. For the younger birds I start off with the chick grit which is smaller and when they get older they get the regular granite grit. Where we live it's all sand so they don't have little stones they can pick up since they don't have teeth, to grind with I put grit and oyster shells in their feed. I don't put a lot and they take what they want. Years ago I would put it in separate dishes, but they would eventually tip them over and so I started putting it in their feeders.

Putting it in the feeders works for me. I don't understand why not. They still get a little bit of grains and seeds every evening when I collect the eggs. I have around 200 birds currently and getting ready for a very late yearly hatch of probably around another 200/300 chicks. The birds are getting higher protein breeding feed for nice healthy chicks and they are laying great.
IMG_3028.JPG

Back
Top Bottom